+ Reply to Thread
    Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What to take on plane with a 5.5 year old?

We are flying Melb to London - what should we take on plane for our daughter?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Who are you flying with? Most airlines have awesome inflight entertainment now so definitely look into that. Take some healthy snacks. I always buy a new packet of crayons, a small sketch book and colouring book special for the trip. My kids have iPods that I put a movie and pack full of apps.
    The airline usually have something for the children on board.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeamummy For This Useful Post:

Oblena  (17-06-2012)

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    we are flying with emirates. I was hoping to avoid taking the ipad - but I think I may have to.

Do the snack have to be packaged? or can they be in glad wrap?

Thanks
    Reviews
    bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    buy prepackaged snacks so they get through security. don't take drinks on board. use the tv screens/movies on board but pack the ipad too. i always take ear plugs!
    maybe a small blanket as it can get cold and she can sleep with. any favorite stuffed toy/comforter. drawing is good, read a book. i buy my kids the magazines with a toy and bring them out when they get unsettled. also pack a change of clothes for her, panadol for you (in case of headaches etc.)
    most of all have fun!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Oblena  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could go to a dollar shop and buy cheap little toys - dolls, ponies, games etc and wrap them and bring them out one by one, and you can ditch them at the end of the flight. Sticker Dolly books are great, they have them at fishpond.com, but also in stores. and raffle books, so she write on each one to make a 'ticket' and tear it off. Hope it goes well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to beancounter For This Useful Post:

Oblena  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    These are some great ideas - thanks heaps. I have heard to wrap stuff up as presents but wasn't sure what to get so cheap dolls and ponies are a great idea. I have also been recommended Uno

I never though of a change of clothes
    Last edited by Oblena; 17-06-2012 at 21:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just flew Emirates (without my children) and they were awesome with all the kids on board. Most of the kids I saw near us slept, ate and watched the in flight entertainment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always fly emirates with my dd. They are really good with kids, but saying that I flew on my own with her last year and we only got the back pack filled with toys and activities on the last leg home. Not sure why she hadn't received this before but it was well timed as she was really over the whole flying thing by then 😁. We all fly back at Xmas and this time my dd will be 4 and a half and I'll have my ds who will be 9 months then (which is the age we first flew back to the uk with dd). The 1st time we flew with Singapore who were good too.
    My tips - take a pillow in a slip she is familiar with - I bought 2 of those small cushions from Ikea and made an envelope slip for them. That way they could be folded up easily and you can stuff a blanket, bib etc (depending on child's age) inside for easy access.
    I've got a small children's suitcase on wheels this time for dd and I'll fill it with things for her - will also put change of clothes for her in it. She'll be old enough to pull it herself too.
    Take lots of individually wrapped snacks - but if your dd is like mine she'll want to eat it all in the 1st hour, so don't show her you have them.
    Take a change of clothes or at least undies and a top - I was so focused on dd the 1st time we flew I didn't take a change of clothes for dp and I. Our first flight got delayed so we missed our connection from Singapore to Perth and had to stay the night in Singapore. Dd was sorted but dp and I were in the same clothes for days!
    Good luck 😃