Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    All I had when my first was born was:

- car seat
    - travel bassinette and sheets
    - change mat on a desk
    - pram
    - baby bjorn (could have done without that though! it hurt my back.)
    - nappies
    - sorbolene and cotton wool for cleaning dirty bottoms
    - a few face washers
    - a nice new towel for the baby
    - a bouncer that my mum bought me as a gift
    - 2 size 0000 body suits and 4 0000 singlets and a couple of pairs of socks (I didn't know if I was having a boy or girl)
    - four muslin wraps and two flannelette wraps
    - a floor mat that I was given at my baby shower

I was staying at my mum's while my husband was away, and I didn't have the space for everything extra. These days I wish that was all I had still.

I'll echo everyone else: you don't necessarily need a bath. Use a plastic bucket you've already got, or the kitchen sink, or the laundry tub. Or just take the baby in the shower with you, which is a bit freaky the first few times because they are pretty slippery.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Susan Mac For This Useful Post:

JWM  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Later, I used the change mat on a camp table, and at the moment it's on the spare bed in the baby's room. It will probably go back onto the camp table for the next baby because the middle child will need the bed.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we spent less than 500 for our first:

- car seat ($120)
    - bassinette($20 second hand, $10 for new foam mattress) used single sheets folded up
    - change mat ($10 ikea) on a tallboy
    - ring sling ($5 from opshop, lasted till 7kg)
    - nappies ($120 - ebay cheapie cloth (still going strong at 2years old) and 1 box of newborn huggies)
    - sorbolene and cotton wool for cleaning dirty bottoms
    - a few face washers
    - 6x size 0000 body suits/wondersuits/singlets/socks (maybe $50?)
    - a few bunnyrugs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

JWM  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with share a book.

We still bath DD in the laundry sink! No need buying silly tubs or seat tubs.
    If you plan to bottle feed, don't forget a sterilser...but don't go all out on bottlez...babies are picky with teats and you may find yourself going through a few before your LO finds one they're happy with.

Don't forget blankets now winter is upon us

Sent from my GT-I5503T using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTulips For This Useful Post:

JWM  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, stock up on baby wipes. I use them for everything.. You never know when they'll come in handy!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTulips For This Useful Post:

JWM  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately the laundry sink wouldn't be able to be used at the moment (it's an ancient plastic double-trough style and has a dodgy tap), but I'm hoping we will replace it with a modern sink before the baby comes. I don't think our other sinks would be ideal either, but my mum said she got a baby bath from a garage sale for $5 so I'm sure I can get a cheap one if we need to. (She wanted it for a cat litter tray, but apparently the cat didn't take to it. Do you think it would be OK to use if we cleaned it with bleach & dettol?? LOL).

I didn't know that you didn't have to soak modern cloth nappies - what do you normally do with them once they are soiled? I've seen on the Young House Love blog that they had a spray hose attached to their toilet so they could spray off the poo into the toilet and flush it, so I'm not sure if we might look into something like that ourselves. I don't really know what to expect (I'm the youngest, never been around babies at all unfortunately ). I thought you'd have to soak them until they went into the wash so that the stains didn't set?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ended up stocking up big time of face washers. Used them for all sorts of spews and spills as well as the bath. Plus are great for sore bottoms.

I just boiled my bottles for sterlisation so no tablets of sterilisation kits needed.

I would certainly consider investing in a cot or portacot up front (unless you can get the bassinet free/v. cheap) because they outgrow them so quickly. I had to move my DS1 into his cot at 5 months and he's always been on the smaller side of average.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JWM View Post
    Unfortunately the laundry sink wouldn't be able to be used at the moment (it's an ancient plastic double-trough style and has a dodgy tap), but I'm hoping we will replace it with a modern sink before the baby comes. I don't think our other sinks would be ideal either, but my mum said she got a baby bath from a garage sale for $5 so I'm sure I can get a cheap one if we need to. (She wanted it for a cat litter tray, but apparently the cat didn't take to it. Do you think it would be OK to use if we cleaned it with bleach & dettol?? LOL).

I didn't know that you didn't have to soak modern cloth nappies - what do you normally do with them once they are soiled? I've seen on the Young House Love blog that they had a spray hose attached to their toilet so they could spray off the poo into the toilet and flush it, so I'm not sure if we might look into something like that ourselves. I don't really know what to expect (I'm the youngest, never been around babies at all unfortunately ). I thought you'd have to soak them until they went into the wash so that the stains didn't set?
    Yes sweetheart, you can get a really cheap nappy bucket that you can soak the nappies in...they have lockable lids...and you soak them in nappy treatment powder for eg napisan.

Disinfect the **** out of the tub and rinse it well and dry and it will be fine to use.

For cloth nappies, you can buy certain liners for them that catch the poopies, so throw out the liner, rinse nappy soso then soak then wash. Viola!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents put folded up chic in my cloth nappies when I was a baby. Just flush the poo down the loo and if it's really bad chuck the while thing in the bin. Adds ages to the life of the nappies apparently.

I'm due on Wednesday and w have everything now

Bassinet - was a gift from mil ($30 from target)
    Cot - was a gift from my dad
    3 boxes of huggies new born nappies
    3 packs of wipes
    4 x 00000 jumpsuits
    6 x 0000 jumpsuits
    Pram and capsule/carseat that is interchangeable
    Bumbo - was a gift from a friend
    Change mat that we've put on top of a cabinet/chest of drawers
    Multiple wraps (muslin/linen)
    Blankets

We're not gunna get a bath cuz we've got a laundry trough and my fiancé works mornings so we can bath/shower her at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chux** not chic sorry haha