All I had when my first was born was:
- car seat
- travel bassinette and sheets
- change mat on a desk
- baby bjorn (could have done without that though! it hurt my back.)
- sorbolene and cotton wool for cleaning dirty bottoms
- a few face washers
- a nice new towel for the baby
- a bouncer that my mum bought me as a gift
- 2 size 0000 body suits and 4 0000 singlets and a couple of pairs of socks (I didn't know if I was having a boy or girl)
- four muslin wraps and two flannelette wraps
- a floor mat that I was given at my baby shower
I was staying at my mum's while my husband was away, and I didn't have the space for everything extra. These days I wish that was all I had still.
I'll echo everyone else: you don't necessarily need a bath. Use a plastic bucket you've already got, or the kitchen sink, or the laundry tub. Or just take the baby in the shower with you, which is a bit freaky the first few times because they are pretty slippery.