+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What is the bare minimum baby stuff I should buy before baby's arrival?

Hi all, I had a quick look but couldn't find another post on this topic.

I'm just after some advice on what the bare minimum of baby furniture and equipment etc to get before arrival should be. It's our first on the way, and we were looking at having the baby stuff set up in our bedroom initially rather than in a separate room. We'll also be looking to buy as much second hand as we can (except mattress etc).

I was thinking bassinet (smaller & portable) or crib, then possibly a chest of drawers with a change mat set-up on top. I know we could change on our bed but we are both quite tall so it would be easier having something higher up (and we'd need the extra storage anyway I'm sure).

We don't really have an ideal place for bathing, and sorry if this is a stupid question, but would one of those trug buckets work? You know the flexible ones that are everywhere these days? Otherwise I'm sure I can get a cheap baby bath second hand somewhere.

Car seats and pram, but we'll probably look into that later as we are still discussing which sorts to go for.

Does anyone have thoughts on anything else (apart from clothes and towels and sheets etc) that would need to be added to this list as necessary? I guess we need a lidded soaking bucket for nappies?!

Thanks for your help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't have time for a proper reply, but if you go to the baby bunting website, they have a check list you can download. Hope that helps!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RubySunrise For This Useful Post:

JWM  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had
    Cloth nappies
    Nappy rash cream
    Nappy liners
    Nappy stacker
    Chest of drawers with change mat on top
    Singlets
    Wondersuits
    Carseat
    Bassinette
    Pram
    Nappy bag

Other things were picked up as we went.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

JWM  (17-06-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd grab a cot rather than a bassinet if you can fit it in your room babies out grow bassinets so quickly.

A chest of draws with a change mat on top is a good idea.

I personally have never bothered with baby baths I just use the kitchen sink or hubby or I shower with baby (good way for hubby to get some bonding time) as they get bigger you cause the laundry trough.

Re the soaking bucket, it depends what nappies you use, you dont soak modern cloth nappies I have found a cheap flip top bin (I got mine from Kmart) works well. If your using terry flats you could soak them but you can dry pail them too.

I would probably grab a bouncer (just a basic one) and a baby carrier, I prefer a stretchy wrap, which will give you the ability to be hands free during the day while still keeping baby happy.

For my last baby I just used a bouncer, clothes, terry flats for puke, blankets, a ring sling/woven wrap, I bought more Mcn but swtiched to Huggies, wipes and some bum cream. She slept in my bed and we didn't use boobie replacements. Oh and I bought another car seat.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

JWM  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A bassinet (or crib if it fits in your room) is good.

If you are tall then a change table at a good height for you is also a good idea as you want to minimize strain on your back. I actually just put a change mat on our laundry bench but I'm fairly short so this was a good height for me - but also meant I only had to buy the mat. All nappies, wipes, creams etc just go in top drawer of our laundry cupboards.

In regards to baths - we just use the laundry tub - he's 9 months now and still fits. We dont really have heaps of storage room so many of our choices were space saving and using areas that we already had.

Best wishes :-)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

JWM  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Some good ideas here! Definitely have somewhere to change your bub, I'm short but I really struggle when we're travelling and need to use the bed, and it's only for a few days. A chest of drawers with a mat on top is perfect.

You can hire capsules/car seats, we hired our capsule for $60 for 6 months (and got $20 back at the end for the deposit).

As far as second hand matresses go, Sids and Kids actually doesn't have an issue with them. So if you do find a clean one in good condition that you otherwise are happy with don't feel like you have to pass it up due to safety reasons.

We did end up getting a baby bath as we didn't have anywhere suitable for a new bub. DH would shower with DS as often as he could but he wasn't always home in time. As soon as DS could sit up we moved him into the laundry tub.

If you're happy wearing bub you don't need to get a stroller straight away. I use my ergo much more than my stroller.

Keep an eye out for any baby and kids markets, they are a great resource for second hand stuff.

Best of luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

JWM  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I picked up a cheap porta cot when dd was a few months old, and bought a tummy time mat and a few toys, a bouncer and a highchair later on. I was given a baby bath, but didn't need it, we have always had a bath tub so used that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

JWM  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much everyone, some great advice here! Glad to hear confirmation that we don't necessarily need all the expensive bells and whistles to get set up.

I think what I was calling a 'bassinet' in my head is actually a moses basket - I thought it would be smaller than a cot (perhaps by the time we go to a cot we will have sorted out a nursery space, or at least have time to work out if we want baby in our room or not), but I also like that you can move a sleeping baby around in it, to the lounge, outside, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had everything with my other 2 but did not plan to have another and immigrated so i have nothing and i am not planning on buying alot either for a once off thing, but i also learnt a few things. Loads of what we had was a waste. The changing table i only used with the first few weeks then i just used the bed anyway while sitting down, bending over a changing table just added to the breastfeeding and carrying baby around back agony. This time i will also just put a mat on a chest of drawers or on the bed. I got a cot from a friend which can change into a todler bed so it will extend the use, while baby sleeps in our room, i will just use the pram because i like my babies sleeping at and incline the first few weeks anyway. The Baby bath i only used while i was bleeding, after that baby bathed with me, they love it and it is kinder to the back. I would not use the bucket becausefilling it and emptying it after cs, will be hard for me when dh is at work. I will just use the basin until i can bath with baby. As i maybe having a preemie, i have been warned, i dont feel right buying preemie clothes and nappies...i will put some money in a seperate account with a list in my hospital bag so dh can go get the additional few things while i can not...like for a breathing monitor, prem nappies and a few preemie growers.

Oh, and i will get a little cd player, i love playing majors for minor's heart beat music to my bubs...seems to help them sleep better at night.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zanne For This Useful Post:

JWM  (17-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Juf84 is right laundry tub instead of bath and I am going to have a change mat on top of chest of drawers. I would normally say just get cot instead of bassinet, but I found a bassinet that I could rock and it was a lifesaver in the early days. Although, I was lucky enough to borrow one. Someone else mentioned a capsule that is a brilliant idea. My only other tip would be, if you can afford it, get the convertible products I.e cot that turns into couch and toddler bed, car seat that can be used from birth to booster, pram that is lightweight enough to use for ages and lasts until your child doesn't need a pram anymore. I think the upfront cost would be a bit extra but you won't have to go buy replacement products later on.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Katy1859 For This Useful Post:

JWM  (17-06-2012)