+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What a beautiful story, thanks for sharing it, I'm glad you and your baby are well.

She's very cute

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Amazing. You r so blessed. Thank gd for great medical intervention. Wishing you a lifetime of joy and happiness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    First of all you are an angel! You went through so much, you had me in tears! Your baby girl is absolutely the most adorable little baby and your mum I could just hug her, what a wonderful mummy you have. I am loving the photos!!! xoxoxoxo Well done miss!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another one crying here. Congratulations on your perfect little girl

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow, brought me to tears. Your little girl is beautiful

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am crying reading your story as it is so similar to mine even down to being at KEMH (except my daughter was 34 weeks). What a thing to go through, so happy for you that your precious little bundle is home safe and sound with you now. Enjoy those precious cuddles!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for sharing your story xox

I sit here with tears rolling down my cheeks. You are so brave.

My little boy is in NICU at this very moment after a very traumtic birth a couple of weeks ago, he was born at 32 weeks and we are both lucky to still be alive.
    I am not ready to share my birth story yet but admire and thank you for sharing yours.

Each day feels like a struggle and I am so physically and emotionally drained. I just want to pick my little boy up and take him home. Hearing your story gives me strength and I know I just have to take each day at a time and one day I will get to cuddle my little man without wires, cords and nurses.

Congratulations on the birth of your precious daughter, your family is an inspiration.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, that birth story was so similar to mine - they also could not wait for my husband (only a taxi ride) and I was taken in at 3am in the morning, so family weren't able to make it either. So, when my dear son was born at 30 weeks, I was alone (and terrified) on the table. Well, I was alone until I heard that little cry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I'm new to this forum but I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your story. I'm 29 weeks at the moment so it really resonated with me and made me think about a few things!

You are a brave and strong woman to have survived such an ordeal and I, like others reading this thread, was in tears reading your story.

Once again, thank you

Thanks
    Reviews

Default My birth story... (warning..traumatic &long)

Update:

I was looking through old posts from when Amelia was born. It seems like only yesterday that I was posting things like birth stats and how scared I was that she wouldn't get to see the outside of a hospital. So... I thought I would update you all on my gorgeous girls progress.

Bit of background...

Then:

Amelia was born at 29 weeks gestation at a tiny 850 grams due to pre eclampsia (eventuatong York hellp syndrome) and intra uterine growth restriction caused by absent end diastolic flow.

She was on oxygen for a long time, especially given her gestation. She kicked the oxygen 2 weeks before being able to come home with us.

March 1st 2012 I brought her home a couple of weeks past her EDD.
    The first few weeks were terrifying. Not really sleeping, due to fear of her stopping breathing and not being able to sleep due to her colic and reflux too.

Around 8 months old we started noticing she wasn't progressing as many babies should, we didn't act on anything but she wasn't hitting major milestones, so we just thought ok, it's because she was born 3 months early! She will catch up.

At 15 months actual age she was seen for a follow up with her developmental paediatrician as part of a neonatal study for premature and extremely low birth weight babies.
    It was noted she had many issues including issues with feeding and weight gain, sleeping, developmental delays with speech, muscle tone abnormalities, not walking and issues with her lungs after multiple admissions with RSV in earlier months.

The same developmental paediatrician wanted to follow up with Amelia in 3 months time. That's when I knew something wasn't right. They never do checks that frequently.
    They were concerned about her not walking and the muscle tone in her legs. They mentioned cerebral palsy, and immediately, I thought..."no way! It can't be, she's not in a wheelchair?! There's nothing wrong with her!" I immediately switched over into denial stage.

So fast forward 3 months and Amelia was walking (not very well but enough to get around!) and we went to the check up. Again CP was mentioned, but if she had it, it would be mild and only affect her legs. Diplegic cerebral palsy I was told. We had to be referred to yet another clinic to get more answers. Cp entry and mobility clinic. That's it, I thought! They know what's wrong with her, why won't they diagnose her?

She started walking with a tip toe gait and that's when we suspected there was not something quite right. We were told to see orthotics and get a pair of ankle foot orthotics made so it will possibly help Amelia walk easier and give muscles a good stretch.

We visited CP mobility clinic in July 2014 and after a long talk, they diagnosed my Amelia with mild spastic diplegic cerebral palsy. I was heartbroken. They'd just told me it's definitely CP. All the indicators and risk factors were there. The whole time! I felt so alone.

So...between relief work to pay for medical and other expenses we had this life changing (although mild) diagnosis hanging over our shoulders.

We were initially told Amelia would never be able to run in a straight line or ride a bike but she can do both, especially running! She gets quite tired really frequently but nothing a pram ride won't fix. She does swimming and will be starting up gymnastics in the school term!

Now:

Amelia celebrated her 3rd birthday in November. She is scheduled in the next 8 weeks for a MRI and botox injections into her gastroc muscle to alleviate tone problems.

I'm really hoping it works. Having a child that is different is difficult! Some days I just wish she was never diagnosed. Others, it's a blessing because now she's getting the help she needs and deserve.

She is running, trying to jump, walking and talking despite doctors saying she will never do it!
    Amelia is partially toilet trained too.

I'm very proud of my little girl! She means the world to me!

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to LysnDan For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (24-01-2015),Apple iPhart6  (24-01-2015),bounty  (24-01-2015),Carpe diem 2013  (24-01-2015),Clyon  (24-01-2015),M'LadyEm  (24-01-2015),Mod-biscotti  (24-01-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (24-01-2015),Phony  (24-01-2015),Sookie Stackedhouse  (24-01-2015),Tamtam  (24-01-2015)