+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Afternoon snacking and dinner

Parents of Pre-schoolers/prep (4-6 years) - do you let your kids snack in the afternoon after kindy/prep/school and before dinner? And what?

My kids come home starving and I'll give them some popcorn, or a sandwich or some crackers at 4, but then they won't eat dinner at 5.30/6.

What do you do?

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nothing after 4, snacks are usually just a yoghurt, a carrot or an apple, nothing too filling. Sometimes a cruskit with honey on. I find they can't go all afternoon with nothing, they melt down by 4.30

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Dd is at kindy 2 days a week, she'll be 4 next week. Until now I've allowed her 2 things when she gets home about 2.45pm. Usually a biscuit and a yogurt. This usually lasts her until 5ish when we have dinner. But, I think tiredness gets the better of her by then and she is over it all, so won't eat her dinner. On friday when she got home I discovered she'd only eaten her yogurt out of her lunch box so gave her dinner as soon as she got in. She had also been up for 2 hours the night before so I knew she'd get worse the longer time went on. We do have a battle at tea time, and as much as I love us all eating together I find she's better eating her tea alone earlier as she doesn't get distracted and mess around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't have a school aged child yet but I pick up my 7 year old niece 2 afternoons a week and yes I'm shocked at how hungry they are after school!
    I usually make her ( and 19 month old DS) a smoothie ( A2 milk, banana, raspberries, lsa, yogurt) and some veggie sticks and tzatiki or mini rice cakes with nut butter usually stops the hunger but does not fill her up before dinner at 6

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Absolutely, they are SO hungry after school, ravenous. I often feed them raw veggies for afternoon tea so then it doesn't matter too much if they don't want dinner. Quite honestly though, my kids never really say no to food, except the 3.5 year old is often too tired to eat dinner. He snacks on veggies all day though so it's not a big deal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    After we pick dd1 (5.5 yrs old) up from school I give the girls each a kiddy size plate which consists of a few water crackers, cheese, sultanas, dried apricots and a cup of milk. Or sometimes I give them some Greek
    yoghurt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My rule for my 5 year old and 2.5 year old is they can have fruit of their choice after school, but nothing is to be consumed after 4pm. I've found anything they eat after that affects whether they will eat dinner which is at 6pm.
    By doing this they are usually both great eaters at dinner time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids eat are terribly hungry when they get home from pre-school and school- they have their dinner at between 4 and 5pm. Often, we will eat with them, but not every single night during the week. I don't like them snacking after school- I would rather they have their big dinner early. They go to bed at 6pm so an early dinner is usual for us