+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default My 15 month old wont let me brush his teeth! Help!

My 15 month old son wont let me brush his teeth! I would let him hold the tooth brush when I am brushing my teeth and he would chew on it, sometimes he would make a brushing movement (but not really aiming at the teeth) and afterwards I would try to finish it off for him, but he would just cry, I really would love to give his teeth a good clean! I hate to make him cry while trying to brush his teeth because I dont want to make it a negative experience.
    Please help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump. I have the same problem with my 13 month old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have this problem with my 2 year old. Its hit and miss if he brushes them or not.... until i bought him an electric one!! Now he just thinks he's chewing it but its actually doing the brushing.

Of course i wanted to teach him how to brush himself but at least they are still getting cleaned

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the same problem! I still mostly use a face washer to wipe them over but he's starting to bite! I might try an electric one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to have 2 toothbrushes one for them and one for me and we would take it in turns, make it a bit of a game. Let them go first and then say now it's mums turn and when you have a turn count to 5 out loud and then stop, then let them have a turn and count to 5, they stop and you go again.

To start with I used to count quickly when I was cleaning and slower for their turn so it felt like they had a longer turn. They quickly learn that after 5 you will stop. Takes a few goes but it is surprising how quickly they figure it out.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SpottySocks For This Useful Post:

TwinkleFi  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpottySocks View Post
    I used to have 2 toothbrushes one for them and one for me and we would take it in turns, make it a bit of a game. Let them go first and then say now it's mums turn and when you have a turn count to 5 out loud and then stop, then let them have a turn and count to 5, they stop and you go again.

To start with I used to count quickly when I was cleaning and slower for their turn so it felt like they had a longer turn. They quickly learn that after 5 you will stop. Takes a few goes but it is surprising how quickly they figure it out.
    I tried this and he just thought it was funner to watch me do it than him do it himself. When i'd say "b's turn" He'd excitedly hand it back saying "no, mummys turn" haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could also try brushing you teeth at the same time and say something like "do it just like mummy". I would also stack a bunch of kids toothbrushes and just let them chew on one for awhile after you've finished brushing. When it gets too disgusting throw it out.

I also 2nd making it a game. I don't have an issue with DS brushing his teeth but I did have an issue with using the FESS aspirator when he was sick until we made it a game and now he thinks it's hilarious for me to suck the snot out of his nose

The best advice I got was from a chemists assistant who told me to buy the Pidgeon toothbrush pack and start DS with the first brush at 5 months (they really just chew on it). It made teeth brushing later so much easier. It's a bit late for you now but maybe if there is someone else reading this it could help them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is fine with me brushing his bottom teeth but hates brushing the top so I flip him upside down and brush as fast as I can! He thinks it hilarious.