+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Conceiving after ruptured ectopic....

Hi ladies, I've never had conception issues and have always been able to fall pregnant within a month or two of saying "Let's have a baby". (Hence the large family!) I really, really wanted to have a baby in mid 2011 (our last), but my pregnancy resulted in a terrible ruptured ectopic where my right fallopian tube was removed. From then until now, I've been "trying" to fall pregnant again unsuccessfully. I did have a positive result about 8 months ago, but about a week after, the pregnancy naturally ended. I was wondering why now I can't seem to conceive and wondered if others who have experienced the removal of a tube found it difficult, or at least longer, to conceive. It's quite possible, being 42 now, that my time has simply ended. I still menstruate every month like clockwork. If I'm still getting a period, shouldn't I be at least ABLE to fall pregnant? I've already made the decision that what will be, will be - I wouldn't pursue any fertility help. But I wish I had a better understanding of why it seems the choice has been taken from me due to the ectopic. I'd appreciate your knowledge and advice / experiences. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there I had an ectopic pregnancy between DD1 & 2 which resulted in the removal of my left tube. Although I did conceive dd2 in 3 cycles I've now been ttc 4 for 13 months with no success I'm not sure if it's due to one tube or because I was on depo but I'm also at a loss...we also will not be pursuing fertility assistance & If we are not pg by end of the year will give up ttc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an ruptured ectopic in November 2011, and conceived again in February (currently 20 weeks). I asked my obstetrician about this at my post op follow up appt and i was told with my past history of conception (ds & ep happened 2nd cycle off the pill), that if I wasn't successful after 6months of trying to follow up with him... Maybe it is something worth mentioning to your gp? You dont need to go down the fs route if that's what they suggest but if might give you some answers/ peace of mind?

Good luck!
    Last edited by Uh-Oh; 17-06-2012 at 08:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I lost my left tube to an ectopic in May 2009. We were ttc from August 2011 and I fell in September but lost it in November. Then fell again in April and am now 10 weeks.

So I think it takes longer but is still quite possible. You could try tracking at a fertility clinic if that is available in your area. It shows you what side you are ovulating on each month and if it is the side with the tube you have a much better chance.

by the way I am 38. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by April78 View Post
    I had an ectopic with ruptured tube in 2008 and haven't conceived again even with IVF. I had tracking done for 9 months in 2010 and out of those 9 months ovulated 7 times on the left side (where there is no tube).
    A common misconception is that you ovulate from a different side each month but that is not always so hence why if you ovulate from the side that is missing there is zero chance.
    Easiest thing to do is go to a natural fertility clinic (google Napro fertility) and get scans done each month and blood tests to test your hormones are right.
    Good luck
    My gyno and the ultrasound dr at the fertility clinic told me I could conceive even if I ovulated from the side with no tube but odds are much much lower like less than 10%. The reason you can is because everything is like sitting in an area roughly the size of your fist and fallopian tubes are NOT fully connected SO it is possible for the egg to come out of one ovary and be picked up by the tube on the other side - but less likely.

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a ruptured ectopic at the beginning of 08 and it took a few years, but I did fall pregnant at the end of '10. I have really sporadic periods at the best of times and was trying to track ovulation to no avail, but the month I finally fell pregnant, my OB tells me that I ovulated from both ovaries. How bizarre!

It is totally possible to fall pregnant from the ovary that is missing a tube - the fallopian tubes are not fixed, they have little 'fingers' that reach to grab the egg, and they can sway to grab eggs from either side. So only having 1 tube is not necessarily a big obstacle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am due one year and one week after my tube rupture- July 28th! It was confirmed that I ovulated from my left ovary, I only have my right tube. So- can definitely be done! That said, the month I fell was the first month I actually ovulated, despite having my period like clockwork too. The surgery and trauma seemed to stop my ovulating, but i had recurrent mc before my ectopic so possibly my ovulation was 'weak' anyway. I also had the methotrexate shot that clearly didn't work and maybe that stuffed everything up??? This bubba is a clomid baby, and it took the interim months for the meds to work. I'd get checked that you are actually ovulating. That was my issue

So sorry for your loss and struggles x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a ruptured ectopic in December and we started trying again in April which resulted in a positive. Sadly that was another ectopic though we have to have IVF now.