+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sids

Not sure where to post this. My good friend lost her 7 week old boy to SIDS last week. I'm lookin for ways to support her. I have told her I'm here if she needs to talk and I bought some red nose gear like a car nose, a pin I wear on mum jumpers, etc.
    Is there anything else I can do? She is not with her partner anymore and her parents live in Indonesia. So she only has friends here.
    Are there any support sites or organizations I can tactfully direct her to?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not sure what advice to give sorry but i am so sorry for your friends loss Just be there for her to listen and to cry on. Sids and kids org should be able to help u with any support groups. x

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I couldn't read this and not say anything.

I don't have any good advice other than just be there for her. Maybe cook her some easy meals so if she doesn't feel like cooking at least she has something easy to heat up.

See if she needs help with anything like grocery shopping, washing, anything she doesn't feel motivated to do, or things she hasn't even thought about doing.

I'm so sorry to read this, what an awful thing to have happen. Sending love to you and your friend xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a work colleague who lost her daughter to SIDS. She really relied on a lot of support through the organisation - http://www.sidsandkids.org/bereavement-support/. There is some literature you can also read up on. I'm sure if you called them they would also provide you with advice on what you could do to help her through it. Alternatively contact your gp or employee assistance program and they should also be able to help you. I'm sure your friend will value your support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How about linking her to BubHub? That way she can directly interact and talk to people who have suffered the same kind of loss?
    And I agree with PP, just be there for her and cry with her. Keep your phone turned on an with you 24/7 as I think night times might be the hardest for her.
    Maybe not bring your DS along to see her for a bit. It might be a bit upsetting for her to see other children right now.....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

austmum  (16-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your replies. Its much appreciated. I have thought of showing her bubhub but I'm not sure if she wants to sit behind a computer and talk to people she does not know and can not see. I think she needs a real counselor. I will check out that sids and kids link in the morning. It looks like a good place for her to check out herself too.
    I have brought her fresh meals each day. She doesn't have to worry bout cooking and I also quickly vacuum when I'm over there.
    I think I will print some info and get some brochures and just casually put them on my coffee table when she comes for tea.
    I don't like her driving right now, so will take her shopping this week. Its all practical stuff, but I guess that's all I can do right now.
    The funeral is Monday. It will be a very tough day.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MumOfDazza For This Useful Post:

rae81  (17-06-2012)