+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I am concerned that this is a law that was to be used to prosecute child sex offenders and is being used to prosecute a parent who allowed their daughter to have sexual relations with her boyfriend. My understanding is that this is the first time this particular law has been tried. I could be wrong on that.

Anyway, I find it a worrying precedent as the law could also be used for parent of a 16 year old having sex with their 18/19 year old partner/boyfriend/girlfriend. Here in Tas the legal age of consent is 17.

I think the law should be applied in the way it was intended, regardless of any personal feelings about this particular situation.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bratmum For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (08-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I feel anyone who turns a blind eye to a paedophile is just as guilty, he not only knew about it, he allowed it to happen.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

austmum  (03-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (08-07-2012)

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm just glad the boyfriend has been jailed.

my DH is 12 years older than me... but he was wary when we met, as I was 19 but looked younger. He said there is no way he would have even looked my direction if I was under 18... a 26 yr old with a grade 9 student is just wrong.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (08-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm - I left home because of parental control when I was quite young and was plced in much more dangerous situations. By all means, prosecute the actual offender, but I do feel a certain sympathy with the parent (knowing how strong/wrong minded adolescents can be). I do feel that the law was applied in a way against the intention of said law.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bratmum For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (08-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (08-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by MissPoss; 08-08-2012 at 11:22.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MissPoss For This Useful Post:

bratmum  (08-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    They're teaching school kids as young as 12 about sex now.... You can't even watch a movie or turn on the radio without it having some kind of sexual content. Kids these days are growing up to think its the cool thing to do and its up to the parents to try their best in teaching and protecting their children. Unfortunately like MissPoss said, teenagers are very stubborn and think they know what's best (I was one of them) ... However, there is no way i would allow my daughter to sleep with a man at only 14.... This girl may have hated her dad but he should have gone to the police especially since its not his first underage girlfriend. It's hard to judge a situation unless your in it :/

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would have discouraged a relationship with such a large age gap from the start, (that said there are 8 years between DH and I) and I probably would have had charges pressed against the boyf if he had kept pursuing my child

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The only problem I have with this law is that I doubt it's being used for it's intended purpose.
    The courts, etc, need to save face in public after the sh!t with the 12 year old girl who was prostituted out to politicians and I think(not 100% sure), members of police and stuff. I think only one man was prosecuted, and the rest got away. They were too "big" to pin down, so this father has been made an example of, to make it look like the police and courts are actually doing something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From the other thread -

No, no no! I was a 14 year old and my “love interest” was over 18. My mother called the police. I refused to press charges – in fact, implied because she worked full-time and didn't have full charge of us kids, she should be found an unfit mother – you can't have it both ways!

I ran away from home and truly, the only reason I was found was that I was NOT compliant in my behaviour towards earning a living.

I think if my parents had accepted my BF, I would have grown tired of him in the safety of my family.

As it turned out, I was in situations I would never want my daughters to be in

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bratmum For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (08-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Teenagers are sometimes horrid, off the rails and defiant. But you still can't just let them do whatever they want to do without even trying to stop it. If it is illegal then it is illegal - that goes for buying them drink, smokes and weed etc.

I look back on mine and my brothers teenagehood and wish to god that my mother had of been more hardline. Maybe things would be very different. I don't blame her, she was a single mum working full time to support us. She didn't have emotional strength to deal with us etc.

But it made me vow I would never let my kids get away with what my brother and I got away with. No way no how, and if it means I have to sell my house in order to put them in a strict boarding school, then I will.

OJ I am the same - my first serious relationship I was 19 and he was 31. He was very wary of the whole age gap. I was headstrong blah blah. He would never have gone out with me - even if I was 17.