+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Poor DS - But how would you handle this?

So today was atletics day at the school. DS got 3 first, 1 second and a participation.

Another boy got 3 first, 1 third and a participation.

The other boy got age champion and DS should have got it so the teachers stuffed up ad DS worked so hard.

What do I do, What would you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awww

I'd check with the teacher, maybe it was calculated differently? Like not just on how many firsts/seconds etc but on something else..?

Otherwise I would explain to your DS that while he didn't get champion, what he did achieve was amazing and you couldn't be more proud of him and how hard he worked. And that being a good sport and congratulating the winner and accepting the result is a very important part of it...?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Ready To Run  (16-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah its counted on points 3 for 1st, 2 for 2nd & 1 for 3rd

DS got 11 and the other boy got 10

One of the races they tied in for 1st and obviously they just didn't add DS score on. Anyway I am just really cranky because it was my DS that actually won it but he didn't get the reward if that makes sense? I feel like I should say something to the teachers because DS deserves it. Is that wrong?

Oh and I'm all for sportsmanship but why should DS not get what he is entitled to?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would def bring it up with the school.... I doubt they will take it off the other boy... But they might call it a tie and reward them both :-)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gilly83 For This Useful Post:

Ready To Run  (16-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah that was what I was thinking, the other boy isn't at fault (he's my friends little DS) so I think they should just call it a tie too. Somehow I am feeling guilty though, am I too competitive, DH wasn't very happy with the situation given that DS gets treated like absolute garbage at that school. He finally gets the chance to be rewarded for something and they bloody take that away from him too The worst part of it all was DS walked in when I was telling DH on the phone and now he knows and is really upset and doesn't know why he didn't get a trophy too I feel like the world's worst parent because he heard that and he wasn't supposed to. The my friend sends me a message saying how fantastic it was that her DS won and it just made me feel worse

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you sure they are the only races awarded points for? I know at our school the children get points from other events not on the actual sports carnival day?

This same thing happened at our school a couple years back. The school accidentally awarded the champion girl award to the runner up..They were in year 1. The mum of the child who missed out carried on like a pork chop and really made a fool of herself about it, and people are STILL talking about what a carry-on she made, when the children involved didn't even realise what had happened. They ended up giving the child a "champion girl" medal, but didn't take the other off the runner up.

I guess what I am saying is be careful how you go about it, you don't want to look like one of "those" mums, as your DS will be sure to hear about it in the playground. I think, if it was me, I would let it go....

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Id stop into the trophy shop and buy him one and get it engraved however you like.
    DS came first in his first ever race in Kindy but because it was Kindy they didnt give out ribbons or trophys.....FOB went and bought DS a trophy and had it engraved with DS name, the date and race distance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would take it on the chin and explain that they made a mistake and it happens in life and move on. Congratulate him as a family and notch it up as a first life experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Obviously I just don't get it but why shouldn't I say something when I know damn well the person adding it up did it on purpose If we let this go, it is once again saying to DS it's OK to be bullied and it's bloody well is not especially in this town that has made our lives HELL for the last 2 years. So in this instance I will be one of "those" mums and stick up for my DS and I personally couldn't give a damn about what they say and I will have plenty to say back if they say it to my face. Oh and by the way DS is already bullied at school by everyone including my friends child (the one who got the trophy) who it was only at the beginning of the year was choking my child in the playground.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have a nice chat with them and suss out the situation.