+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ebm in bottle as bub refuses breast now

10 1/2 week old bub Has refused breast, I have tried nipples shields, walking around trying to feed, he just gets extremely upset and I just end up giving him a bottle. My let down takes a while now. I am happy to express my milk for him instead of FF. He seems to drink 100ml from the bottle but when he did Bf he only fed for 7 mins and then gets hungry again sooner.
    Has anyone been in this situation
    I feel so rejected but I've read sometimes bubs go through this stage.
    Please tell me your stories and advise

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I went through the same thing with DS1 when he was 6-9weeks in the end we threw out all the bottles and dummies and formula cold turkey. I ended up breastfeeding him for a few years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's not uncommon for them to have nursing strikes at that age.

If you google nursing strike, there is a lot of info.

I would recommend getting him back on the breast, as it's difficult to express full time and a pump is less efficient.

I broke my son's nursing strike and he fed until after 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It hurts when bub refuses to BF. DD did it once when she was a few months old. Screamed & wriggled & would not latch on. We gave her a bottle of EBM & she gulped it down.
    My MCHN told me to hop into bed for the day with DD & have skin-on-skin time and to let DD decide when to feed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Izzys Dragon For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (16-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mine went through some refusal when my period started, she got over it and we are still feeding now (19mo).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went through the same thing with DD when she was 16 weeks, she also was like your DS and only fed for short periods of time but frequentyly. I tried not to bottle feed her ebm but she was a lot stronger willed than I!! I ended up bottle feeding her ebm during the day and breastfed her overnight as I found she was more than happy for booby during the night feeds. It was a bit of a vicious cycle I have to say as I was pumping flat out all day and then bottle feeding her but she also started to feed more frequently overnight. By the time she was 8 months I pretty much lost my supply and was exhausted. I was happy to keep doing what I was doing for as long as I could.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stiflers mum how long did the refusal last?