Closed Thread
Page 52 of 107 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Disney View Post
    Thank you so much for responding !! I have wanted to hear positive stories about gas and labour and yours sounds not horrid!
    Hi Disney,

With my first I had already thrown up everything in my stomach long before I got to hospital. I had a shot of pethidine when I arrived about 8:30-9:00pm slept for a while, got back to the birthing suite abou 12am. I had gas only during the labour and DS was born at 1:37am. Afterwards, I went out for a ciggie (bad I know and won't being smoking this time). I was warned by the midwives that it could/would make me throw up and it sure did.

I think the biggest thing to remember is everyone handles drugs differently. The best thing you can do is have knowledge of each pain reliever so that when the time comes, you can listen to your body and be able to make an informed decision.

I had completely ruled out having an epi. I have slight hip dysplasia and although the doc's had said this wouldn't cause a problem, I knew that lying on my back was not an option. Because I know the issues I have with them, ie. what sets off the pain etc. I needed to be able to move around and deliver in some kind of upright position, so an epi wouldn't let me do that. I didn't know much about what to expect (good or bad) as I hadn't gone to any antenatal classes or done much research. I just went with the flow when it happened and I guess I was a lucky one.

This time around, I know a lot more about what I want and don't want. It makes it harder in a way, because pregancy and birth can only be planned so much. There are so many variables and unknown's. I like to plan and be prepared, but you can only think of so many plan B's.

I guess what I'm trying to say is prepare yourself with knowledge, have your ideas and ideals, but also know that not one thing could go the way you want, but that's ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have my husband's name. I do wish I'd kept my own. Just cause husband's surname is really common, and mine is a bit more unusual. But what's done is done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LRA View Post
    Yes, definitely better for the environment. Disposable nappies do not decompose so they sit in land fill.
    I read through a few sites on this debate and you'd swear it is the diaper making companies that have written the articles. The info seems somewhat biased towards using disposable nappies.

But as you say, everyone has the right to use whatever nappies they prefer. One article estimated that babies go through 60-80 nappies a week! 'Struth!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey guys!!

Welcome carrie77!! Thanks for sharing your story with me (I've added you to our list as well!). It's always nice to hear other people experiences. I think I do need to do a little more research into active labour, but I think I might just go with the flow and see what happens...I'm sure ill change my tune once I'm utd!

Thanks to those of you who responded to my question about changing your name. I chose to keep my name, I like it and i have identified with it for 29 years so it seemed very odd to me to change it. My kids will have my dh last name but yeah I was just curious to see if I was a majority or minority. Clearly a minority so far LOL!

I respect those who use the washable nappies, I personally will be using disposable nappies and think modern cloth nappies are gross (just as gross as people who make their own/ use reusable pads and tampons due to environmental issues, oh it makes me feel so sick thinking about it, no offence intended to those who choose to do that) but I can understand where people are coming from in regards to saving money and space in the landfill! Good on you guys, I just epically lazy when it comes to things like that. I recycle my garbage, don't litter, and donate to environmental charities so I see that as doing my bit!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally agree with you on the disposable nappies Disney,

Like most of the others, I took DH name, it actually never really occurred to me to keep my own. It was just something that I was always going to do.If we have a son, we plan to use my maiden name in his name somewhere (either first or second name)
    I know its really old school, and not at all necessary but I like that as our own little family we will share the same name.

The only down side is my new surname is also a girls name, so I often get called my surname as my first name and often have to correct others.
    sometimes i ring places and they ask for my last name, I tell them then they ask for my last name again, and I have to say IT IS MY LAST NAME!!!! can be really frustrating (I know, first word problems)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys, I have been following through email but its been hard to get on with uni, work and wedding planning. Nearly 5 weeks to go!

Disney if you could add me to the list too please

Name: sjk
    State: QLD
    Month: Aprox. July 2013
    Pregnancy: First

Like the majority I am taking FH last name, I haven't really thought of it any other way and I want the same name as my future children. But I have made the decision to keep my maiden name on my Bachelors (I graduate just after I get married).

I haven't really thought about pain relief - I thought I wanted an epi before reading all your stories :S also everything makes me nauseous so I'm worried about throwing up.

I had a chat to FH and he doesn't really like the idea of cloth nappies because he thinks I'll already have so much work to do without having to add extra washing etc. But hes open to talking about it for the money factor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also not sure if this has been asked before but has anyone had a thought about if they are going to try anything particularly while TTC (Like charting, temping, OPKs, Pre-seed?) or just going to stop trying for a little while?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Disney View Post

I respect those who use the washable nappies, I personally will be using disposable nappies and think modern cloth nappies are gross (just as gross as people who make their own/ use reusable pads and tampons due to environmental issues, oh it makes me feel so sick thinking about it, no offence intended to those who choose to do that) but I can understand where people are coming from in regards to saving money and space in the landfill! Good on you guys, I just epically lazy when it comes to things like that. I recycle my garbage, don't litter, and donate to environmental charities so I see that as doing my bit!
    I think the reusable pads and tampons is gross. I have never actually known anyone to even consider this. That creeps me out, no offence if anyone does actually do that. I don't know why I feel differently about nappies. If you asked me a year ago I would have said no way to using them, I used to think they were gross, but I know someone who started using them and I have changed their nappy and I didn't find it any more gross than changing a disposable. Nappies are gross no matter what haha. JMO

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sjk View Post
    Also not sure if this has been asked before but has anyone had a thought about if they are going to try anything particularly while TTC (Like charting, temping, OPKs, Pre-seed?) or just going to stop trying for a little while?
    We aren't going to try anything in particular to start with. We are just going to stop contraception and see how it goes. If it doesn't happen after a few months we might start doing something, but it is just one thing I don't want to stress about at first (I am an organisational freak, and if we were charting or temping or anything, I would get absolutely OBSESSED with it and get carried away and just stress more over it - just a personality flaw of mine - very obsessive ) DH has to bring me back down to earth and take it easy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys, I have been following through email but its been hard to get on with uni, work and wedding planning. Nearly 5 weeks to go!
    When is the big day? Mine is in January. I'm finding the planning exciting but stressful at the same time. It's almost all done thankfully. How is your planning going? Uni must make it tough. My DF graduates this year. I can not WAIT until he is finished. It will be the first time in our relationship that neither of us are studying.

I will be using OPKs and Pre-Seed. I like being organised from the start rather than waiting until nothing is happening. I think I can still be organised while TTC without getting stressed or taking the fun away from it.