Closed Thread
Page 51 of 107 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So here we are ladies! The Class of 2013!! (only 14 weeks to go)
    Let me know if i've missed anyone or if you wish to be added!

Name: Lil Nightmare
    Month: December 2012/January 2013
    State: NSW
    Pregnancy: first

Name: MrsLA
    Month: Dec 2012 ( if house doesn't sell) OR first few months of 2013 (if house sells soon)
    State: Victoria (Melbourne)

Name: Carrie77
    Month: January 2013 (maybe start December 2012)
    Pregnancy number: Second
    State: Qld (Logan - Brisbane southside)

Name: hamij (Jade)
    Month: Prob Feb/March 2013 - I have a kilo goal I want to get to, so it depends on when I hit that.
    Pregnancy: 3rd

Name: Tashee
    Month: March 2013 (as long as dp doesn't change his mind again)
    State: SA

Name: Disney
    Month: May 2013
    Pregnancy number: first
    state: NSW (Sydney)

Name: Trio
    Month: May
    Pregnancy:2nd

Name: sjk
    Month: approx July
    State: QLD

Name: Nomie
    Month: October
    Pregnancy: 1st
    State: TAS

Name: LRA (Lauren)
    TTC: November 2013
    Pregnancy: First
    Age: 23 (but will be almost 25 by the time TTC which is scary)
    State: NSW (south of Sydney)
    Last edited by Disney; 16-10-2012 at 17:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hamij View Post
    Awesome - I think the main thing with PUL is that it's breathable - rather than plastic backed fabric.
    Yes, the fabric that I got is breathable, its just that the coating is on the front of the pattern, not the back (which is what the ones that are specifically designed for nappies are so that the print ends up on the outside)

Just remembered the PUL that I used for the nappies I made - I put in an 'invisible' layer of pul - I bought it by the metre, was heaps cheaper, and I just put it after the absorbent layers, and then used a cotton print outer.
    That's how I have done it, so you can't see the PUL, you can only see that cotton layer on the outside. It has the outer cotton layer, then PUL, then absorbent, then inner layer to draw away the moisture.

As I said I just brought a small amount of 'nappy making' PUL with the print on the outside so I am going to test that and see if it is the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome - I think the main thing with PUL is that it's breathable - rather than plastic backed fabric.
    When I have a baby, down the road a fair way, I will use cloth nappies. My mother and aunt say they are much better for a baby (they breathe properly) and better for the environment.

I'm guessing they're right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayell View Post
    When I have a baby, down the road a fair way, I will use cloth nappies. My mother and aunt say they are much better for a baby (they breathe properly) and better for the environment.

I'm guessing they're right?

Yes, definitely better for the environment. Disposable nappies do not decompose so they sit in land fill. And there are some websites that calculate the average amount of nappies a baby uses in its lifetime and the impact this has on the environment (not to mention the costs of disposable vs cloth). There is something like 3 million trees cut down in Australia and NZ every year to make disposable nappies (don't quote me on that one though I could be wrong)

And yes they are breathable for bub, and they also look super cute, instead of disposable nappies, its like always having a pretty nappy cover on

But each to their own, most people still prefer disposable, they are convenient, but it's just our personal choice to want to use cloth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    MrsLA - I can't believe how disrupted your cycle can become just from missing a few pills! I think it's a great idea to come off the pill now. And also, good luck with selling your house. DF and I just got our loan approved and we are about to start building. It feels like it is taking foreeeever. But between the wedding and the house being built, I should be fairly busy up until Feb/March next year. But that still doesn't distract me enough from my cluckiness. Is it bad that I hope you have an 'accident'? Haha.

Tashee - Hi, nice to meet you. Hope you are feeling better now. I've never fainted before. How scary! Do you remember falling? And interesting about the prenatal vitamins. I guess it would depend on the person and their diet. When do you go to Europe? Which parts are you visiting? My way of thinking is, I do a little bit of traveling now. But if I have kids young, they will be moved out when I retire and I can travel as a retiree.

LRA - Nice to meet you too. My DF is already sick of me talking about babies so much. Which is why I escaped to BH. Keeps us both sane. Although he is very clucky as well. If he hears a baby crying he'll look around to find it. Haha. I'm definitely not keen on cloth nappies (sorry), but yours are so cute! Nice work. Looks like we will be TTC at about the same time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely better for the environment. Figure I had nappies that I used for both children - so it's even better if you're having more than one child. Of course we got rid of our nappies, or I probably could have used them for #3!

Cost wise I feel it's a big difference. Although it's a larger upfront cost - I'm looking at spending about a grand or so - maybe a bit more. But that will do me until toilet training. Figure costs for children in disposable nappies are meant to be approximately $3,000. Figure an extra couple of loads of washing a week isn't going to increase my bills that much. Figure costs that I've found online are approx $200 a year to wash and dry nappies in a tumble dryer (but I wouldn't recommend that - much better to hang on the line!). So figure even if I take that into consideration, it's double the cost for disposables. I found it to be a bit help in that I didn't have to find the money each week for nappies - we bought the nappies with the baby bonus and while I was pregnant to make the cost not as noticeable.

This time around, I'm going to look for prefolds for newborn - only $100 or so before baby is born. I'm trying to cut costs on purchase before birth where possible as we're trying to save money for an independent midwife, and figure I'm not working, hubby is in relatively low paid job! Then I thought I'd try and buy a wide range of nappies second hand, try them out and then decide what ones to go for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm curious to know, those of you who are married did you change your name, if so why or why not? Also will having a baby make you change your last name if you haven't already?

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I get married in Jan, I'll be taking my DF's last name. Even if I chose to keep my own and we had kids, I think I'd still give them his last name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Disney View Post
    I'm curious to know, those of you who are married did you change your name, if so why or why not? Also will having a baby make you change your last name if you haven't already?
    I changed my name. Never really considered keeping my maiden name. I just like to do things a little bit traditionally. Also I am not particularly close to my father, never have been, so I didnt want his name. I even considered changing my name to my mother's maiden name when I was younger before I met dh because I didn't like having my fathers name since my parents split when I was young. Mum never changed her name back to her maiden name, she kept my fathers name but I wanted to change mine. So I think that played a role in it too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I've been lurking for a while but not posting. Sorry, I have been very busy with uni (when I can concentrate on it that is.)

Disney, my details for the list are

Name: Carrie77
    Month: January 2013 (maybe start December 2012)
    Pregnancy number: Second
    State: Qld (Logan - Brisbane southside)

It sounds like everyone is well and getting more excited as the time goes by.

I am not married to DP and won't be until we've had children and I've finished uni and have been working for a while. Finances and schedules dictate this is the way it must be. I will take his name once we marry (it's a cool surname and could be s little ironic if I ever open my own solicitors prctice.) Our child/ren when born will be given his surname.
    Also, I never married my ex and my first has his surname.

The nappy discussion - hamij, LRA, Jayell. Is someone making their own MCN's? I would be interested in how to do this if it could save money on buying premade's. I really want to use MCN's for all the reasons - environment, save money, etc, and because they are just so cute.

I really need to concentrate on uni for the next 5 weeks for end of semester exams and assignments and then I can go baby crazy. Even if I'm not active, I will be lurking and keeping updated on you all.

Take care everyone