Closed Thread
Page 34 of 107 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Disney View Post
    So I was wondering if people have thought about pain relief during labour and what they are thinking they are going to do/not do? Those that have had kids what did you do before to get through labour?
    I have thought about it, but have no idea if my thoughts are logical or practical.
    I would like to try with just gas, but dont think that my pain threshold is that high! If the pain was too much i would be happy to have an epidural if that meant the whole experience was better as a whole.

Would love to hear others thoughts, and what those with bub's have done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    First baby I had long induced labour, ended up with pretty much everything - tried gas, then morphine, then epidural. Ended up with c-section.

Second baby, I went gas, then found the shower, and that was amazing, then decided to go epidural (as I'd had a prior c section and they wouldn't let me stay in the shower with no monitor) - nurse didn't check me before the epidural, so ended up having him pretty much straight after the epidural, which kicked in AFTER I'd had him and they stitched me up argh.

Next baby - I think we'll go homebirth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hamij - that's annoying it kicked in after your bubs was born.. Thanks for sharing ur stories! A home birth sounds scary just because there is no pain relief ! I'm the worlds biggest sook! I stubbed my toe the other day and thought I was going to die!

Im very much having an epidural! I feel it will make my experience more positive and calm ( things were not calm after I stubbed my toe lol).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hamij View Post
    I used greenkids and baby beehinds for my older two. But it seems that SO many more brands have come onto the market since then! I'm leaning towards getting ones with snaps rather than velcro this time. I'm thinking I might just go prefolds and some newborn covers to start with, and then make a decision. Figure I can always keep using the prefolds in pocket nappies as the baby gets older. Might buy some nappies second hand to try a few different types. I also made some when my kids were younger - but found they didn't last as long, and they still weren't overly cheap. Considering making some wetbags etc instead to save some dosh. Also thinking I'll make my own wipes. Least it'll give me something to do other than shop!
    I have heard good things about both those brands, I might check ebay out too. I made some wipes out of an old flannel sheet. they didn't work too well, what do you make yours out off? I made a corn cob costume for bubs while waiting for him to arrive, and a few decorations for his room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Disney View Post
    Hamij - that's annoying it kicked in after your bubs was born.. Thanks for sharing ur stories! A home birth sounds scary just because there is no pain relief ! I'm the worlds biggest sook! I stubbed my toe the other day and thought I was going to die!

Im very much having an epidural! I feel it will make my experience more positive and calm ( things were not calm after I stubbed my toe lol).
    I remember the day before I was to be induced I had a stretch and sweep. It damn hurt, I felt so stupid, I was going to be in labor the next day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsLA View Post
    I have thought about it, but have no idea if my thoughts are logical or practical.
    I would like to try with just gas, but dont think that my pain threshold is that high! If the pain was too much i would be happy to have an epidural if that meant the whole experience was better as a whole.

Would love to hear others thoughts, and what those with bub's have done.
    The gas is awesome, I labored in a warm bubbly spa sucking on the gas. My midwife was excellant only the one internal at 9.5cm dilated. The gas has to be turned off when you start pushing, I complained so she pretened to turn it back on. I knew it wasn't on but it was the thought that counts! I had a local as I needed an episotomy, and that needle was the worst pain. My doctor stitched me up perfectly and I didn't even need a panadol after. It was a fantastic birth.

I highly recomend a spa if your hospital has one, it really calms you down and helps you get into the zone.

I was really worried about the side effects of an epidural.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son had to be resuscitated after birth. I'm not sure whether that was because he was early, or because the epidural was given so late.

Wipes - it seems a lot of the cloth wipes are flannelette and minkee, so that's what I think I'm going to make them out of. In saying that - I think I've found some cheap ones on etsy - from america. Will work out if me making them will be a decent amount cheaper - if not - I'll just buy it. Looked into prices of a wetbag, and looks like they won't cost me that much less to make myself, so I'm thinking I'll be buying those too! One thing I did 'make' with my kids was wraps. That way I could make them a lot bigger than the store bought wraps. Though I also found the cot top sheet to be good for that too.

BoyCrazy is offline <MY SWEET BABY GIRL HARPER 9 MONTHS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my 3 labours have all been rather different to each other, and my babies have gotten smaller rather than bigger with each bub haha.

my first i had gas (made me feel nauseous so i stopped that) then i had pethedine shot, which i thought didnt really do too much. He was born in 6.5hrs. at 39 weeks gest, weighing 3.38kgs

my second i did drug free! He was born in 5.5hrs at 39 weeks gest, weighing 3.33kgs.

my third was shocking. I had a massive bleed at home at 37 weeks, went to hospital via ambulance and then had morpheine. She was only 2.9kgs and took 4.5 hours. She hurt the most lol.

my 4th i will TRY to do drug free, i didnt like how the morphine made me feel. so spacey and sleepy, not nice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Trio View Post
    I remember the day before I was to be induced I had a stretch and sweep. It damn hurt, I felt so stupid, I was going to be in labor the next day!
    Ha ha ha glad to hear I'm not the only one worried about pain! What exactly is a stretch and sweep.. It sounds painful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyCrazy View Post
    my 3 labours have all been rather different to each other, and my babies have gotten smaller rather than bigger with each bub haha.

my first i had gas (made me feel nauseous so i stopped that) then i had pethedine shot, which i thought didnt really do too much. He was born in 6.5hrs. at 39 weeks gest, weighing 3.38kgs

my second i did drug free! He was born in 5.5hrs at 39 weeks gest, weighing 3.33kgs.

my third was shocking. I had a massive bleed at home at 37 weeks, went to hospital via ambulance and then had morpheine. She was only 2.9kgs and took 4.5 hours. She hurt the most lol.

my 4th i will TRY to do drug free, i didnt like how the morphine made me feel. so spacey and sleepy, not nice.
    Im allergic to morphine! It makes me vomit ... Not nice at all