Closed Thread
Page 16 of 107 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Disney View Post
    So today at work I decided I would look at prams online. Prams are a recent obsession of mine, I see a lot of them in my line of work. I have narrowed it down to 2... Has anyone else looked at prams? If so which tickle your fancy?
    My goodness I have obsessed over everything at some stage!

I want either a strider plus 4 or baby jogger city select. (ideally baby jogger, but don't know if I can justify the $1000! Strider only $600 with bassinet attachment)
    Bassinet - I want a King parrot (in the dark wood)
    Cot and change table - not sure what brand but definitely a dark walnut colour of solid construction. I don't want a separate change table but a chest of drawers that can have the change table sit on top.
    Car seat - safe n sound Meridian AHR tilt and adjust
    I want Avnet bottles (in case I can't breast feed for whatever reason, or water as baby grows)
    Baby monitor - Angelcare movement and sound monitor
    I plan to use disposable Nappies, and sleeping bags or swaddles!

What else? (I have probably considered it)

I'm feeling quite down tonight. Found out another of our couple friends are pregnant (that makes 4 due between jan and march) I am totally excited and happy for them, but can't help wondering when it will be my turn
    My cousin also had her baby girl this morning and again so happy for her, and can't wait to meet my new second cousin but can't help but feeling a bit jealous. (what a selfish cow I am?)
    Hopefully I will feel more positive tomorrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hailzy- I work in a place where we have lots of school holiday programs and under 5's activities etc so the place is always full of parents with prams. And kids go nuts for where I work.

MrsLA- omg you have pretty much covered everything! Ok so in terms of my 2 prams I want a bugaboo (this is where I'm conflicted, I don't know if I want the bee or cameleon) or I would like the baby jogger. My issue with the baby jogger is they are quite big, as in long, I would need to do a better assessment closer to actually getting one.

Thinking about some of the things you have listed MrsLA I would also like the drawers and change table built in one just because we dont have space for both, I like the seed organic bassinet but have put heaps of research into that, also I don't need a bassinet, it's a pure want, and in regards to baby furniture I like things in white, most of my furniture is white so I'll continue with that modern look in the nursery.

Bottles and monitors (again I don't think, monitor not bottles, need that living in an apartment) I haven't considered...i plan on using disposables, non disposables make me gag!! gross!!!! Breast feeding scares the crap out of my I fear that more than child birth so I will have formula and bottles on hand. I plan on giving it a good go but it's not the end of my world if I can't deal with it.

Sleeping bag? Like for camping?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow you girls are very organised I think I will not be looking until I'm actually pregnant or I'd get too obsessed. At least I know who to come to when I need advice since you girls are on top if it!
    Disney your job sounds awesome I've worked at school holiday programs before and loved it.
    MrsLA I know what you mean about others having babies & getting pregnant. Of course you're happy for them but it's an issue close to home for you. What I'm trying to do is just chat to these people all I can & listen to what they can tell me re: pregnancy, good hospitals, their experiences etc. your time will come when it's good for you timing wise & it will be perfect.

So I'm not sure how much you guys are planning to save for baby stuff? I have no idea how much it all costs really, just trying to get my head around it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sleeping bag? Like for camping?
    No! Sleeping Bag like http://www.mothercare.com/baby-sleeping-bags/bedding_sleepingbags,default,sc.html#?view=grid&sz =50
    Much safer for baby to sleep in than blankets.

Hailzy, I don't plan on buying anything, just trawling through google, and occasionally looking in a baby shop. (sometimes I have to do this for work anyway, I'm not completely obsessed (Yet)) sometimes it makes me excited, for whats to come and sometimes it just makes me more desperate.

Thanks for your kind words, I still feel like a total cow, but really cant help it.I really am truly so excited for everyone, and its pretty cool that I will get so many baby cuddles! AND be able to go shopping for baby stuff!!!

I'm not planning to actually 'save' for baby stuff. We we probably just buy stuff as we need it, and hope it does not effect our current savings too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hailzy View Post
    So I'm not sure how much you guys are planning to save for baby stuff? I have no idea how much it all costs really, just trying to get my head around it all.
    We are saving for baby stuff, we did a quick jump onto baby kingdom website and did rough workings of how much it will cost to set up the nursery and a pram and car seat and then the rest of it we will buy as we need it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsLA View Post
    No! Sleeping Bag like http://www.mothercare.com/baby-sleeping-bags/bedding_sleepingbags,default,sc.html#?view=grid&sz =50
    Much safer for baby to sleep in than blankets.

Hailzy, I don't plan on buying anything, just trawling through google, and occasionally looking in a baby shop. (sometimes I have to do this for work anyway, I'm not completely obsessed (Yet)) sometimes it makes me excited, for whats to come and sometimes it just makes me more desperate.

Thanks for your kind words, I still feel like a total cow, but really cant help it.I really am truly so excited for everyone, and its pretty cool that I will get so many baby cuddles! AND be able to go shopping for baby stuff!!!

I'm not planning to actually 'save' for baby stuff. We we probably just buy stuff as we need it, and hope it does not effect our current savings too much.
    Oh wasn't aware of these baby sleeping bags.... Thanks for the heads up!

I have moment of complete jealously as well I think it's ok and normal. You'll be there soon enough!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I just found my health fund tax thingie and thought oh my gosh I need to change it to include pregnancy. I HAVE to do that by feb to include pregnancy so I've made a note in my diary for the Christmas holidays as a project to do. So that is officially on my plan now. Have any of you already done this? Are you planning public or private? I am all for both but my closest public hospital is still 35 mins away maybe even 45 mins without traffic and it's a bit gross and has a bad reputation which is why I'm saving like a crazy person for private.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Disney View Post
    So I just found my health fund tax thingie and thought oh my gosh I need to change it to include pregnancy. I HAVE to do that by feb to include pregnancy so I've made a note in my diary for the Christmas holidays as a project to do. So that is officially on my plan now. Have any of you already done this? Are you planning public or private? I am all for both but my closest public hospital is still 35 mins away maybe even 45 mins without traffic and it's a bit gross and has a bad reputation which is why I'm saving like a crazy person for private.
    I am planning public. We have a public hospital 20min away that has a pretty good reputation for maternity. I even have friends who have full private health cover and still decided to go to this public hospital. Because of this I can not justify the $$$ for private (I am sure that if it was a s****y hospital then I would think very differently)

Disney, do you mind if I ask what your rough workings were cost wise to set up a nursery etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsLA View Post
    I am planning public. We have a public hospital 20min away that has a pretty good reputation for maternity. I even have friends who have full private health cover and still decided to go to this public hospital. Because of this I can not justify the $$$ for private (I am sure that if it was a s****y hospital then I would think very differently)

Disney, do you mind if I ask what your rough workings were cost wise to set up a nursery etc?
    Yeah our local public hospital is pretty scary.

My costings are as follows for a nursery set up

800 cot
    200 mattress
    1000 drawer and change mat combo thing
    300 bed linen
    90 bath time
    500 car seat
    1200 pram
    120 bouncer
    130 baby carrier
    500 decorations and paint

$4840

There is more ( clothes nappies etc) but these are the big ticket items (let me know if there is something I haven't thought about)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've changed my private health already - that being said we have a great public and private hospital so I'm not too worried.
    How much would it be to go through private??
    $5000 seems pretty accurate for the big stuff - I guess some things will vary & you may get some as gifts.
    Ive been thinking so much today & wondering whether financially its ever the "right" time?? We are still renting & I worry that if we have a baby we will never afford a house? But I worry if we got a house if I could afford a mortgage whilst on Mat leave? I'm such a worrier by nature & this stuff bothers me!