+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What foods should I avoid??

It seems something I have eaten today has given little man a belly ache.

Are there foods I should try and avoid while BF??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Chocolate used to upset my Ds terribly, cabbage, coffee / tea, sometimes dairy products.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    How long will it take to get out of his system??

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Babies are born with a sterile gut and over the first few weeks of life become colonized with gut bacteria that they come across in their environment. It can take a while for the gut bacteria to settle down into the right kinds, and during this time there will be some discomfort. This may not be related to your diet at all. Don't think you have to deprive yourself.

My baby is allergic to cow's milk protein, bananas, tomatoes and eggs. She reacts within 4 hours if me eating dairy, and an hour or so of me eating bananas, with violent vomiting, florid rashes and itching that makes her miserable. It happens immediately after a feed and for about 8-12 hours afterwards. It can take a long time for some proteins to be cleared from breast milk, if they circulate in your body for a long time, but most things will be gone within 12 hurs at most.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told by a lactation consultant that rocket (the leaf, not the space-ship!) often can be a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Onions, garlics, leeks and artichokes contain the carbohydrate oligasscharide which doesn't digest until it reaches the colon and can cause wind.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, well if we are going to talk about that:

"Many of the 130 different human milk oligosaccharides may be important in infant brain develop- ment and resistance to infection. Their presence may be one of the reasons that breast-fed infants appear to have higher intelligence quotients and greater resistance to infection than formula-fed infants.Quantitatively, oligosaccharides are the third largest solute in human milk after lactose and fat. Mature milk contains over 15 g human milk oligosaccharides/l compared with only about 9g protein/l"

http://journals.cambridge.org/downlo...7fa9d615b280fd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes I'm aware of that, but the carbohydrates specific to those foods are a known problem with some infants and even simply cooking them more thoroughly so the carbohydrates begin breaking down before they're eaten can be helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my DD1 and DD2 both got very windy in the first few weeks/months but over time their bodies adapted to my eating habits.

I didnt avoid any foods.

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    breastmilk comes from your blood rather than your stomach - there are very little changes you would need to make to your diet apart from caffiene and other drugs that pass through your blood. Alot of the things people recommend to do are old wives tales. Of course some babies occassionally may be sensitive to some things and if you notice it maybe stop that particular food, but in general you should not need to take anything special out of your diet.

here is an article on it.

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-foods/

and here is an article on some of the myths about what gives babies gas….

http://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/gassybaby/

essentially gassy foods do not make gassy babies however occassionally a baby might be sensitive to a certain food but that would rather be a case by case basis than a general rule for what to avoid.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 16-06-2012 at 20:12.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ulysses For This Useful Post:

hoping28  (17-06-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (16-06-2012)