+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Slightly dilated kidney at 20wk scan?

I just found out that my little boy has a slightly dilated kidney (20wks pregnant). I am booked in for another scan at 35wks and noone seemed that worried.

Apparently it is quite common and normally resolves itself. Sometimes it requires antibiotic tx at birth and monitoring and can also mean serious kidney problems in rare cases.

But I also read it is a soft marker for downs and im freaking out. My NT scan was 1.5 and combined risk low.

Has anyone else been in this situation? What was the outcome?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS had the same thing. Like they said, it is quite normal. It all cleared itself up = ) Good luck with your pregnancy xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    did they talk to you about the risk of downs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, I only had the same problem with the kidneys.. The risk of downs was very low...

Thanks
    Reviews
    apparently my risk of downs is low - the nt scan was good and the bloods where good.

but I have read the dilated kidney on their own are a soft marker of downs - the dr didn't say anything - I saw it on google and have of course have found a few ppl who have had children with downs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    sorry i wasn't very clear, at the hospy app the dr just said bub had a slighyly dilated kidney, probably nothing to worry about but they will do another scan at 35wks. if it hasn't resolved itself (which it normally does) then they may treat bub with anitbiotics at births and then monitor etc. There was no mention of anything else.

When i came home and googled, heaps of stuff come up about downs and dilated kidney being a soft marker for downs. It is freaking me out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohhhh okay I understand now. They didn't mention anything about downs. DS had a dilated kidney at my 20 weeks scan, my 28 week scan and when I went back at 35 weeks it had cleared up. They said that it's very common, especially in boys but it clears up most of the time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarSkull View Post
    Ohhhh okay I understand now. They didn't mention anything about downs. DS had a dilated kidney at my 20 weeks scan, my 28 week scan and when I went back at 35 weeks it had cleared up. They said that it's very common, especially in boys but it clears up most of the time.
    Exactly this with my DS1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    DS had this until he was born and yes, it's common, particularly in boys. Most of the time it clears up on it's own

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am so upset at the thought of him having downs. i can feel him kicking and instead of being excited I'm full of dread.