+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I pay my aster to look after DS every week while I work. It's normally 5 or so hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister had my DD 3 days a week and I paid her $80 a week. I also supplied everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow that's two loooong days every single week with a young bub. In my opinion she should definitely have offered, or you should at least have discussed it! Especially considering she ASKED you. I'm quite shocked actually. My Mum and Dad look after DS for one day a week, and we have often discussed with them whether we can somehow pay them or "repay" them but they always decline. I never want to be one of those people who "burden" their family members with their kids and would never presume they are willing or free to look after MY children, especially without compensation.

Rarely my brothers have looked after DS for say 5-6 hours at a time and we have bought 6 packs of beer or movie tickets to say thankyou as we knew they'd decline money (but those are only one-off babysittings).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Casual baby sitting, or a night here or there- No. I wouldn't pay family. My parents have DS fairly regularly, but not full days and not as a structured thing.

In your situation- I would be paying for sure!!! It isn't baby sitting, it's daycare! Two LONG days a week. Two full days that impact your week greatly. She needed to at least offer. If her kid was in day care and was, say, sick and you had them for the day- different story. But as a regular carer while she is making money she should most certainly be paying you. I would bring it up, asap!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lovemyfamily View Post
    Did you talk about it before you started babysitting ?

If it was me I would pay as I would be relying on you to do it on set days but if it was here and there no maybe bottle of wine or choc's . .
    No we didn't, she just asked if I would watch him when she went back to work, then last week she said she was going back Tuesday and could I watch him Monday Wednesday thursday

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely not fir the short term, ad go babysitting to go to a wedding, dinner, etc.

For some reason I feel there us a difference If it was the grandparents babysitting (I wouldn't expect to pay), verses aunties/uncles (I would expect to pay). I kind of see the grandparents role as helping out, but no so much for the others... Especially two days a week!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Juzz For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    If I go away with DP overnight and my parents have DS we tend to get them something like a nice bottle of wine while we are out. Generally speaking, no and I don't expect money if I babysit for friends/family.

If somebody was watching DS regularly so I could work I'd pay although it wouldn't be much or he may as well be in paid care where I'd get the rebate.
    Yep, this.

Though none of my family would accept money even of I did offer but I WOULD offer.
    Last edited by waterlily; 15-06-2012 at 21:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum has looked after one of my kids 1 day per week for over three years and I've never paid her. She loves doing it and I am extremely grateful for her help. We don't do it because I can't afford care (after CCR I pay $40/day which is manageable) but because I love the idea of my kids having one on one care with a loving family member. It's really special to me, my mum and my kids.

I occasionally pay my sister - at the moment she's babysitting our 2 kids weekly at witching hour while DH and I do a course - so I offered to pay her. In that situation I asked her as a favour and she's not big on kids so it was kind of an incentive for her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No not at all.
    My In-laws always want ds and they never want anything they have their own nappies and ds eats everything so no we don't even offer.

Like if you were going out on a day trip somewhere to a play-land or catch public transport something like that maybe the cost of entry but i just can't take money off ppl if i am doing them a favor and i would know i could say no at anytime if it was getting to much for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by daysta112 View Post
    I'm watching my nephew 2 days a week for 10 hrs a day now his mum has gone back to work.

If you were in her position would you be paying?
    Yes in this circumstances. She is relying on you to be available for a huge length of time on an ongoing basis. I assume you can't say you can't do it every now and then and if you go away or are unavailable then she would need to take leave? I also think its different to grandparents. On the flip side, my SIL pays our MIL to look after her kids twice a week (next to nothing like $60) and then whinges and moans when MIL wants to go away. I don't pay family to 'babysit' my kids (on occasional nights) unless it is my nieces and nephews minding the kids and then we only give them say $20 just cause we are being nice.