+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default need advice on dd

i tried feeding dd ebm out of a bottle but she wouldnt take it . we have tried a couple of differant bottles but she refused them both.
    i have to have surgery in the next 3 months so im worried about it. i cant put the surgery off cos its a desperate thing and i need it.

sophia is a little under weight too so i may need to give her formula (seeing hcn this arvo to discuss what happens and to get her weighed again)

qny tips on how to get her to take a bottle. she wont take a dummy either.

oh she is almost 3 months old (in 5 days)

thanks for the help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you tried getting your DH to give her a bottle? When he was younger DS would never take a bottle from me, but would from DH. When we first tried I just made sure I left the room and let them work it out.

I know lots of people have this issue, and sometimes have to go through every different teat to find the right one. I would try not to stress over it too much, she'll pick up on that. Perhaps just get your DH to try once every couple of days. Let her play with the teat, give her an empty bottle to play with. You could also perhaps try a sippy cup.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried different teat sizes as well? When DD was about that age, she was refusing a bottle because we had her on newborn teats not 3 month teats?

Also, maybe try offering her the first feed of the day via bottle? Not sure what her feeding is like overnight, but maybe she'll be hungry enough in the morning to take it.

It's so hard. We've gone through phases with DD where she'll sometimes take a bottle, and sometimes won't.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my dd would never take a bottle from me (and she had one every day from birth) but would from my dh. she liked the avent bottles, hated tommee tippee and medela ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    so i tried getting dh to guve her a bottle but she wouldnt take iit. i also bought several other bottles and differant size teats but she refused them all. sigh. might try a sippie cup next. she wont even take it out of a syringe. she is hungry when i give it to her but just refuses it. i think she is a bit confused about how to take it cos she tries to chew it and doesnt suck and gets cranky in the end. same with the ddummies

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Will she suck on your finger? We had to feed DS with a fine tube taped to our finger for top ups. He'd suck the finger, and draw milk up the tube from a bottle. Babies can also be cup fed. Maybe ask your CHN or the ABA, they'll both have advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GrabbyCrabby View Post
    Will she suck on your finger? We had to feed DS with a fine tube taped to our finger for top ups. He'd suck the finger, and draw milk up the tube from a bottle. Babies can also be cup fed. Maybe ask your CHN or the ABA, they'll both have advice
    same thing with out fingers, she will chew on the but not suck (rarely) she sucks
    on our arms when she is laying across the fore arm but thats it.
    will try to talk to the chcn again but she was not very helpful in giving advice she just nodded and gave me tips on how to manage my gall bladder problems and nothing on how to get sophia to take a bottle or what alternatives thhere are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds was exactly the same. At 14 months he still won't .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry accidently hit enter. The closest I've come to him taking a bottle was the pidgeon brand. If all else fails you might have to try cup feed. I know she is young but the nurses did this for ds when he was a newborn to get more colostrum into him. Also babies know even when their mother is in a different room so also try leaving the house for a little while and then getting dh to give her the bottle (in saying that this didn't work for us but hopefully it might for you!)

I hope you find something that works, a friend of mine was going back to work and her dd would not take a bottle. She was very stressed about it but I think 2 days before hand she finally took the bottle, so don't give up!