+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default what is best to do in this situation??? am i doing the wrong thing?

so i have gall stones and need to get my gall bladder removed (on waiting list for surgery) because i keep having gall bladder attacks and they have become more frequent since pregnancy and giving birth.

any way when i have the attacks i try to take panadol and tramadol and other pain meds (not at the same time of course) to relieve the pain but it does NOT work at all and takes hours sometimess even days for the pain to go away and in the meantime i have to look after dd which is impossible cos i cant even look after myself when i get the pain.
    i have vomited a few times before when i felt nautious when the pain ccomes on and i have noticed almoost instant relief (5mins or so)

so here is my question.
    what is better to do. be in pain for any given time and struggle to do anything and care for the baby
    or vomit on cue and be relieved from pain after 5 mins and go back to normal.

dd had a shocking night last night and i was up til 4am so when the pain came on i decided to make myself vomit because dh had to get up for work at 6 so he could not help me out if i needed him too.

am i doing the wrong thing.

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Geez, that's a hard one. I know what I'd do, but I can be pretty hopeless at looking after myself so it's almost definitely the wrong choice. Is there nothing stronger you can take? I'm sure that your healthcare provider would be horrified that it's come to these choices for you, if you saw them again they might push a bit harder for you to go up the list?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by katherinelouise View Post
    Geez, that's a hard one. I know what I'd do, but I can be pretty hopeless at looking after myself so it's almost definitely the wrong choice. Is there nothing stronger you can take? I'm sure that your healthcare provider would be horrified that it's come to these choices for you, if you saw them again they might push a bit harder for you to go up the list?
    i am alreay put as urgengt on the list cos i pleaded my case sooo many times to the hospital. they told me that i can turn up at emergency and they can give me morphene but thats not an option as dh has work early and we cant afford him to ahave him take any more sick days because he will need them when i have surgery.
    yep its tough i dont want to do the wrong thing but i dont know what the better option is for my body (what is healther to go through) they gave me a panadine forte scdipt but that os not as strong a tramadol so i have not bothered with that one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Vomiting for a long time vs debilitating pain? Seriously su(ks hairy ones.

Any estimates on how long your wait will be?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just realized you're in Darwin too! Which answers the question I just asked, doesn't it? You'll be waiting for e v e r.. Who's your GP, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by katherinelouise View Post
    Just realized you're in Darwin too! Which answers the question I just asked, doesn't it? You'll be waiting for e v e r.. Who's your GP, if you don't mind me asking?
    i go to the palmerston medical centre (nxt to bahn thai) and see whoever i can get (yet to find a good dr) .

yeah be in pain for a looong time or vomit and it be over in 5 mins.

the longest time i have been in a serious amout of pain with this is 4 days and thats after taking lots of pain meds (hospital advised me on what to take) sometimes it is worse than the pain i felt with birthing dd. cant breathe or move cant lift anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, Have they given you any tips to actually stop the attacks? I had it very severely before I had my gallbladder taken out, I even ended up with a liver infection and was extremely sick. Admitted to emergency several times and every thing.

My doc recommended to cut out all oily, fried, fatty foods, spicy foods, onions, fizzy drinks and alcohol, anything that causes your gallbladder to release too much bile (which is then when the stones get stuck in the tube). Doing this helped me heaps. I did eat a pretty plain diet for a long time but the relief from the pain was so worth it. Doc also told me to sleep on my side at night (I can't remember which side sorry) but he said this would help keep the stones at the bottom of the gallbladder and away from the tube where they get stuck.

I was the same as you, the only relief was vomiting but after a while even that stopped working. The change to my diet was the massive saviour.

Vomiting a lot can also do other damage to you, like acidic damage to your throat, teeth, tongue and stomach.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tazturtle For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (15-06-2012)