+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Non dairy diet - recipes please!

Ok so I am about to embark on two weeks of no dairy for myself and DS who is one (and breastfed). I am not certain but think possibly his eczema flares up after dairy products.

I also plan to not eat soy products during this time either.

I've always eaten dairy! Any help on recipes for family meals and snacks (and how I shall not eat chocolate) would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Coconut milk and oil are really fabulous substitutes for butter and milk in baking

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were non dairy for about 2 months (and still have very little now). We had lots of meat and 3 veg meals, rice/pasta with veggies and no dairy (eg pasta sauce without any cream or cheese), porridge with oats and water instead of milk, pancakes with water instead of milk, hearty veg soups with barley, noodle dishes.

I have a few vegan cookbooks so I looked for them for inspiration, but there's also heaps of vegan website with loads of recipes.

The only thing is, 2 weeks might not be enough for the dairy to get out of his system. From what I understand it takes 2-6 weeks for dairy to fully get out of your system, and he still can get the milk protein from your milk (breastfeeding) for a little longer after you stopped with dairy as it's still in your system. My friend who did it and her son is sensitive and breastfeeding said it took her 4-5 weeks for him to totally change (he didn't have eczema, but tummy problems and behavioral issues).

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I use coconut milk/cream for creamy pasta or potato bakes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. Off to a good start, rice milk is way better than I thought if would be! Thanks too Jake's mum - I didn't realise that about proteins staying in your system, maybe we'll aim for a longer trial. I'm wondering if I should stop all steroid creams while we do this, that's what I planned but his poor little face looks so sore and he's scratching at it now...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know this is months past the original post date, but just in case anyone is looking at this topic there is a great cook book called the 'No END Cookbook' the END referring to Eggs Nut and Dairy - it has a range of recipes ranging from breakfast, snacks, lunch, dinner, desserts, etc which are perfect for these allergy sufferers. My DD is allergic to Eggs and Dairy so the cookbook has been well used. You can find it via google search and it costs around $20 for a hard copy. There is also another free to download cookbook called 'The Enjoy Life Foods E-Cookbook' which caterers to the top 5 food allergens. Hope this is of help to anyone looking for some ideas.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to donnejm For This Useful Post:

kirstyandmick  (26-12-2012)