+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Karicare AR... Please help!

I have a 7 week old who has been diagnosed with reflux. She is on Zantac and was on Karicare Gold. The dr recommended putting her on Karicare AR. We did this and for the first few days her poos were really runny and stinky, now she is really constipated. The AR works wonderfully for her reflux.

I've purchased the Karicare Thickener with the thought that if I could find a happy medium between the normal Karicare and the Karicare AR, it might work for her reflux and constipation issues.

Does anyone happen to know how many scoops of the thickener it takes until the milk it the same thickness as the AR variety?
    I put 2 scoops into 160ml and she is throwing it back up. I dont want to go to 3 scoops if it's just going to wind up the same consistency as the AR formula.

I've tried water and she spits it out and have purchased Coloxyl drops last night. She has had 2 doses but no change yet. I'd like to avoid giving her this if I can work something out with her formula.

I hope this makes sense and someone can offer up some suggestions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had exactly the same problem! It's really just a case of trial and error. Go up by half a scoop and see how you go.
    How long have you been using Zantac? We found it caused part of the constipation problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She has been on Zantac since 4 weeks.

I called the Karicare advice line and they suggested mixing formulas. 2 scoops of AR with 1 of the normal Gold. I'll give that a go and see if it helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    The gold can cause constipation. I would be using a regular formula and mixing in the thickener

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe try a teaspoon of prune juice in 20 ml of water. My DS didn't go for days and I was told that it can be normal for babies not to go for up to a week but to try the prune juice to help it out. We did and it did.