Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sweeps / mops floors
    Scrubs shower
    Kids bathtime
    Occasionally cooks
    That being said though I'm still on maternity leave with DS and DD is in school so I have the time to do the rest.
    He does get up at 2am to go to work and so did I when I was working so I know how wrecked he is.
    In 5 weeks I go back to full-time shift work so we'll see how the household duties will be split then I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You gals have got it made

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DH is pretty good (and has been even better since I have been pregnant and sick/tired). He does all of the outside stuff and takes bins out. He also does whatever is needed inside - stacks the dishwasher, does the washing and hangs it out, folds washing, irons when needed. He doesn't seem to notice if the house is dirty and is happy to go weeks without vaccuuming/dusting/etc but will do these things without complaint if asked. He enjoys cooking so he is the cook on weekends, but is home too late during the week. Generally I cook and we eat, then he bathes DD while I clean/do dishes (though he will do them later if I am too tired). One of us puts DD to bed while the other tidies.

I must admit we are both a little lazy, so it takes both of us to keep on top of it all even though we are only in a little unit!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    he does all of the yard work, all of the maintenance that does not require a professional, he does 90% of the cooking, he does 50% of the parenting when home, he will clean up if asked but generally I do this on a Friday as he tries but it is never up to my standard. He will fold washing etc but again it is never how I like it so I do not tend to ask him to do it.

Aside from our differences in income our household is equal in terms of roles which if was not the case I would not have married my DH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing so I can show DH this thread!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parrmum For This Useful Post:

babybumblebee  (15-06-2012),meljemillie  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DH gets up in the morning, changes DD2's nappy, makes breakfast for our two girls and makes me coffee.
    He helps with bathing the girls at night and does the teeth brushing, story and bedtime routine.
    He takes care of all the rubbish and floors (vacuuming and mopping) and mostly does the dinner dishes.
    If the girls are sick he gets up to them at night.
    We don't have a yard, so he escapes outside work, but he'll BBQ or cook dinner on occassions.
    I take care of food shopping, prep and cooking and all the laundry, general cleaning and tidying and bathrooms.
    I also handle the finances and look after our 3 little ones while he is at work.
    I think we have a pretty fair division of labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm on bedrest at the moment so DH does everything, he’s such an angel, but we both feel stressed in a messy house so he has always helped, there are certain things he never does but the same goes for me. I.e. I never Ever empty the kitchen bin (something that drives him insane) but he will only do a load of laundry if there is something unwashed he wants to wear. On the weekends he has always done the yard work while I do a big vacuum, dust and grocery shop ect.
    It will be interesting to see how the dynamic changes once our bubs are born and I will be a stay at home mum. He has already told me he hopes it will mean he doesn’t have to iron his own work shirts ever again... we will see

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH works full time. I don't work at the moment.

Mowing
    Cooks once or twice a week
    Does dishes after I have cooked most of the time
    We share the sweeping and mopping ( I do most of it but DH will help if asked or if it's a weekend)
    We take turns doing the night time routine to put our DD to bed
    DD is a terrible sleeper and if she wakes a lot during the night or I'm getting to frustrated he will get up to her as well.
    If DD is awake before he goes to work he will get her breakfast and let me sleep until he is ready to leave.
    He helps out with the laundry on weekends
    He does the maintenance type jobs around the house
    He makes sure the cars have petrol and looks after water, oil etc
    I clean the bathrooms but DH cleans the shower as the domestic fumes in the shower make me feel ill.
    He puts the bins out on garbage day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always cook and he does the dishes. Although he will often do the coffee & brekkie on the weekend - whoever gets up first really. I'm often on at him about the quality of his washing up - he just has lower standards than me, and I'm always finding dishes in the cupboard that don't look clean to me, or don't think he has wiped the stove and benches properly (if at all). It's really the main source of any arguments we have.

Otherwise, he takes out rubbish, does lawns etc. He is really good about hanging out & bringing in washing. I don't think he would wash towels and sheets nearly as often if it weren't for me though! He does a crap job making the bed, so I prefer to do it. He's also really good about walking the dog and poo patrol in the backyard. He will vacuum, but doesn't clean the bathroom. We had a cleaner once a fortnight but just moved house so don't have a new one yet.

ETA: He also irons his own shirts. I very very rarely need anything ironed, it is just his business shirts. He did it himself before he met me, so he continues to do it. He has even been known to iron my skirt or whatever while I'm in the shower if we're getting ready to go somewhere together - I would have to ask him though, he wouldn't think of it all by himself.
    He also runs a lot of errands for me during the week. He works right in the CBD and it is easy for him to do things like go to Medicare, post office, buy my cleanser, etc. It is hard for me to get to things like that as they are not near my office.
    Last edited by peoniesarepretty; 15-06-2012 at 12:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH does everything outside, including feeding/washing animals (dog, cat & ducks!) and car.

He does the dishes the most in the house, and will sweep the floor most days. He does 50% of the cooking, does DS's bath/shower. Will put a load of washing on or hang one out 2-3 times a week.

He is now doing shift work, and before that used to leave work before me and get home before me so I do DSs morning routine most mornings and literally just leave the house as it was (ie - DESTROYED as DS is a terror!) he always has the house cleaned up before I get home, or before he goes on shift.

I generally do all the ironing (although he will do it, and if bored on one of his days of - he works 6/4, he will watch a movie and do the ironing) and I always clean the bathrooms.

DHs is a good 'tidier', were as I am the cleaner (mopping of floors, cleaning of bathrooms) but his daily tidying makes my weekly cleaning SO much easier.

The same applied really when I was a SAHM, I did more cooking but our house cleaning is always pretty much 50/50.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast