+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Church assisting paedophile priests

The archdiocese has disclosed to The Age that it is providing significant financial support to four clergy released from jail after serving sentences for child sex abuse.

Victim support groups say more clergy found either by police or internal church investigations to have abused children are likely to be receiving financial support from different Catholic orders outside the Melbourne archdiocese's control.

A spokesman for the Melbourne archdiocese said church law required the bishop to ''ensure appropriate financial support is provided to all priests''. ''The archdiocese contributes to rental support and health insurance for four priests who have had their faculties to function as a priest withdrawn, been convicted of child sex offences and completed any term of imprisonment imposed by the courts.''

Paedophile priest Victor Rubeo was receiving financial support until his death last year.

A fifth paedophile priest within the Melbourne archdiocese, Victor Rubeo, was also receiving financial support until his death in December last year, on the day he was to face a committal hearing in the Melbourne Magistrates Court over 30 fresh child sex abuse charges.

Director of victims support group In Good Faith and Associates, Helen Last, said the generous financial support to paedophile priests was unjust compared with the financial, physical and emotional hardship endured by those who have been abused.

''This seems to be a weak response in terms of discipline and there should be an examination of the archdiocese's relationship with clerical sexual offenders,'' she said. ''The victims are often left out in the cold with no ongoing financial support and help. The money the [convicted] priests get from the church makes it a very unjust situation and demonstrates no awareness by the church of the seriousness of sexual crime.''

Ms Last called on the archdiocese to disclose how many clergy it had confirmed through its own internal investigations had abused children - but were not reported to police - were also receiving financial support.

A spokesman for the Broken Rites victim support group said: ''If abusive clergy receive ongoing support from the church, this shields the offenders from the harsh reality of the long-term harm that they have done to victims.''

The issue of the handling of child sexual abuse within religious organisations is to be investigated by a Victorian parliamentary inquiry. A state government source has confirmed the inquiry will have the power to override any confidentiality agreements abuse victims have signed to receive compensation from religious organisations.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/ch...#ixzz1xoYD9H5k

Sickening

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't know how much it is, but all crims get financial support when they get out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I don't know how much it is, but all crims get financial support when they get out.
    and your point in the context of this issue is?

Is it fair that the Church uses it's tax exempt dollars to financially support the sex offenders whilst majority of the victims go financially unsupported?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    and your point in the context of this issue is?

Is it fair that the Church uses it's tax exempt dollars to financially support the sex offenders whilst majority of the victims go financially unsupported?
    My point is that if they are getting enough to cover their needs, is it different to govt money? I know dd's father got money upon release to assist with setting up and covering day to day needs. No I don't think any of it is fair, but is it really that different? Like I said though, I don't know amounts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    No it's not. SO wrong

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (07-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeh I think it's different.
    The Church covers up the abuse, moves the abusers around; endangering more children, then pay to support the offender and not the victims.

Maybe if Churches paid tax - and then the offenders were treated just like any other offender, rather than this sanctimonious behaviour - then, it be the same.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Considering the Church gets donations from parishioners that is even more disgusting. If I was religious, I wouldn't be happy knowing the money I gave to the Church each week could possibly be going to support ped.ophiles. Yuck.

Shouldn't be surprised though. They have covered up abuse for years and years, so I guess an extension of that is helping those convicted afterwards.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (15-06-2012),Stiflers Mom  (15-06-2012),Witwicky  (08-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Absolutely revolving. Unfortunately not surprising as I think the catholic church is revolving all through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Doesn't surprise me. The Catholic Church continues to disgust me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    And they wonder why people leave the church. Disgusting.