+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My first memory is mum ever so casually bringing up the topic of periods when I was about 11. I remember being mortified so I guess I already knew *something* but I haven't idea what or how. Probably stuff I learned from friends. She bought me a book Girl Talk which was actually quite informative and I read it several times. I was also an encyclopaedia reader and me and my friends used to look for the "naughty sex books" at the library when I was in Year 7.

I was lucky in that I didn't get my period until I was 16 so I'd had plenty of time to get information. Year 8 science was probably the most comprehensive in terms of menstruation and anatomy and I think that's where I learned everything I needed to know on that topic. My science teacher was pretty practical about the whole thing and while it was a little bit embarrassing (mostly because he was young and good looking) it was actually really informative and generated a lot of discussion (and this was in a Catholic school). We learned about and discussed sexuality in Year 9 Religious Ed and again in Year 11 Ethics.

When I got my period I told mum but was mortified at having to do so. I always bought my own pads in secret because I was too embarrassed to put them on the shopping list. God, I remember the first day of Year 7 and having to tell her that lessons were split up into "periods" and wanting to just die of embarrassment right then and there :-/

As for sex, it was never, ever discussed in my house (no wonder I'm a prude). I got all my information from magazines (Dolly and Girlfriend), friends and books. I lost my virginity a few months shy of 19 to my boyfriend and he taught me everything that I needed to know from a practical POV. I already knew the basics from conversations I'd had with friends, books and magazines.

I hope I'm more open with my kids. I find it really difficult to talk about these topics to anyone other than a few close girlfriends because I still get so embarrassed. I don't want my kids growing up like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Honestly, my sister having a baby when she was 15. I was 6. Doesn't get more educational than that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum told me about it all. I remember walking home from school when she was pregnant with my brother when I was about 6 and asking her how babies are made etc, and she just told me. It was never really a big deal.

I was bought up in a Christian household and my parents were very open about sex, but also about the sanctity of marriage, and that sex was something that consolidated that. However I never felt I couldn't speak to them about it, and when I lost my virginity (outside of marriage) I spoke to mum about it straight away. I had my kids before I was married and although I know it wasn't what they would've chosen for me, I also knew they accepted my decisions and never judged me on it.

Periods and stuff- my mum had explained to me years earlier I think, I know I had more knowledge about it than most other girls at school, and she had bought me a packet of pads and tampons before I got my period at 11, she must've known it was coming soon!

I try to be just as open as my parents were, I explain everything to my kids that they ask about, and they know all about babies and sex and body changes etc.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Justwant2beamummy  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum spoke to my sister and I about the menstrual cycle, reproduction etc from early on. She have me a little pack with spare underwear, a pad etc to keep in my school bag when I was about 11.

As far as sex goes, she had a series of books that were age appropriate and got more detailed as you got older, so she read the first one to my sister and I and then as we got older she gave the more advanced ones to me to read myself. I was always taught that sex was for those in a loving relationship and not a "one off", which worked for me. I had school friends absolutely devastated and distraught after sleeping with guys who had no intention of having a relationship. I was/am so glad I waited for someone who loved me.

We also had sex Ed at school and I learnt more about std's there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In grade 6 we did some bas ic 'the birds & the bees' stuff. All i can remember of it was how embarrased the teacher was when we had to call out names for parts... We also split into boys & girls groups and went off to hear about wet dreams & periods (complete with demo of tampon dropped into a glass of water).
    More basic stuff on anatomy/reproduction in biology at highschool.
    Then in yr12 we had a 1hr session with a nurse who glossed over STDs & STIs before a brief session on safe sex & a demo of putting a condom on a banana.
    Completely useless & ill timed imo. All in state schools.
    Mum was very open about stuff & was happy to answer questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I first heard about sex from school friends at around age 8. One of them had been given a book on it and she shared what she learnt with the rest of us.

My mum was a bit shy around the subject so it all became very embarrassing for me. I remember for a long time I thought all babies were born by cesarian and was horrified to learn where they usually come out of!

Mum told me about periods and gave me pads when I was 9. Thankfully I didn't need them till age 13. Even then I was very embarrassed to tell her it started.

We had sex ed in high school so I learnt a lot from that. I started being sexual with a boy around 16 but didn't have sex till 17.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I honestly don't remember, although I guess I leant somehow. Maybe primary school? I knew the nuts and bolts at quite an early age though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was a book worm as a child and so my mother bought home a few books for me to read. "Where did I come from" was one and then there was another novel type book written for young people that covered everything from our anatomy to what happens to boys and girls as they develop, covered periods and tampons/pads/etc, erections, condoms, masturbation, everything including sex and pregnancy and what happens during pregnancy and pregnancy myths (like you cant get pregnant standing up)

Mum gave me this when I was about 8 years old. I read it and then any questions I asked mum answered honestly. Shes always been really open about everything so Ive never felt uncomfortable going to her for advice. From grade 5 till grade 9 we had sex-ed in school..So I feel I was more than educated on protection and what happens to boys and girls bodies and STDs etc. I got my period when I was 12 and mum got me a range of different things to try (tampon applicators, pads of different sizes etc)

Im pretty lucky to have a mum thats so open and honest and encourages us to be the same. I hope to be the same for my children.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i grew up on a farm, and saw how all the animals sorted things out.
    dhs father is a doctor, so he had medical books all over the house, and looked things up for himself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My mum told me, she's always been open about that sort of thing, we never had "the talk" she just answered my questions openly and honestly as I asked them.