+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default *spin off* How did you get educated on sexual function as a child or teen?

For myself, we our bred our pet dogs (whom lived inside with us), so I had some demonstrative evidence about how it worked. We even put a makeshift cloth nappy on the female when she was in season so she wouldn't leave blood all over the house.

Sex ed in primary school was about your family tree, and that babies are lots of work (changing, feeding, entertaining, bathing, etc). In high school it was all about condoms and STDs.

It was the 80s and the high school library had heaps of pamphlets on STDs, especially AIDs. I read them all. Next I went to the encyclopedia and looked up intercourse.

At 13yo, I rode home from school and found the seat of my bike red. I knew I had obviously gotten my period but didn't really know anything beyond that. No-one was home and I went to the bathroom and cleaned up. Blood was not coming out at that point, so it was obvious to me that it was all over. I was surprised because I thought it was supposed to last longer. I also thought I had best tell my mother so went searching for her at likely places, such as the local shopping centre.

By the time she finally arrived home with my uncle in the early evening, I was distraught because I had spent all afternoon looking for her. I exclaimed that she was finally home and asked where she had been all day. My uncle ridiculed me saying that I wasn't a baby and didn't need my mother around all the time.

Finally I managed to get a quiet word with my mother and told her that the reason I was looking for her was to tell her that I had my first period. Her response was to hand me a box of tampons and tell me to go into her room to put them in. I tried to explain that it had finished, to which she told me I was wrong and it would last days - and sent me off into her room.

I read the instructions and then attempted to insert one, but wasn't able to. About half an hour later my mother came in to check on me and I was in tears because I couldn't get the thing in. She pulled out a partially used tube of thrush cream and said to use that as a lubricant. I did so and it worked. (I continued to use the thrush cream to insert tampons for about a year, until the tube ran out - then discovered that I didn't need it anymore.)

My mother also impressed upon me the importance of not telling anyone (teachers, classmates, administration, guidance officer, no one) at school, because I would get teased about it.

The next day I went to the school library and looked up menstruation in the encyclopedia.

-----------

When I was 14yo, after I was sexually active, one day I arrived home from school and my mother told me she had gotten some books out of the library for me and put them in my room - and told me where she was off to for the rest of the day as she walked out the door.

I went into my room and found "Where did I come from?" and "What is happening to me?" sitting there. I gathered she had left so that she wouldn't be around to answer any awkward questions. I read them and laughed that she thought I didn't know this stuff by now.

In year ten, our science teacher spent a lesson talking about the human body. She covered many topics, including the use of the pill to control painful periods. And also offered anyone who had a question they weren't comfortable asking in front of the whole class to stay behind and ask her privately afterwards. A boy stayed behind and asked about why he would get hard-ons at inappropriate times. The teachers answer was enough to clue me in about the fact that the male appendage gets erect. Before this I was completely unaware of this fact. I knew all about wet dreams but didn't know that a penis had an erect and a flacid state.

==========

Okay, that pretty much outlines my education in the area. Your turn.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 15-06-2012 at 10:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We were taught about periods at school when I was about 11 and given a special "pack" with pads in it. I told Mum about this and she asked me if I had any questions. I told her when it arrived at 13 and she was very supportive and excited for me. She also suggested tampons instead of pads which I was very grateful for and we went shopping for some! I never felt embarrassed.

Interestingly I can't remember ever having the sex talk at home although into my late teens we would discuss it and contraception very openly.

I do remember learning the biology in school but my other knowledge mainly came from my own book research (before the Internet existed!) and from... Doing stuff!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    I remember watching "Where do I come from?" when I was about 8. My parents showed it to my brother and I watched it too.

As for tampons, I remember being really embarrassed by my Mum showing me how to put one in. When I got my first period a few months after at 12 years old, I started using tampons straight away. By the time they taught us in health class (I was in Year 8) about it, I took a sample tampon just so I'd have a spare lol!

As for sex itself, I was vaguely aware of it. Obviously I knew what it was from the "Where do I come from?" video but mostly I learned about it through school talk and later through erotic novels and pr0n films.

A standout moment for me in my naïveté was when I was 17 and in the middle of getting it on with a guy, I left the room to check on his sister who was my friend and had walked in on us. Kinda left him hanging lol!

I didn't actually lose my V plates till I was 23! I did everything but, though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sadly my experience in this department as a child was not great. I vaguely remember going to an 'info night' with mum at primary school, but I don't remember ever asking mum questions or even talking about it on the way home. She wasn't/isn't the easiest person to talk to about sensitive topics.

I'll always remember the day I got my first period at school, came home and called mum for help. She laughed (yes laughed) and told me to go to her bathroom cupboard for supplies - that's it

The positive from this though is I have vowed I will always have an open conversation policy with my children, no matter how hard it is for me. I'll also try and talk regularly about these topics around my children so they learn it's nothing to be ashamed or scared about. It's a normal part of life.

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Me - "Is that it?"

GF - "No, that's not it."

Me - "What about now?"

GF - "No."

Me - "God dammit, how can this thing be so damned hard to find?? How about now?"

GF - "That's it!"

Me - "Well finally!!"

GF - "That was it?"

Me - "Ummm, yeah? What?"

GF - "Never mind."

And THAT was my sex ed!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

AppleIsleSMum  (15-06-2012),Shoopuf  (15-06-2012),sweetseven  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GluttonForPunishment View Post
    Me - "Is that it?"

GF - "No, that's not it."

Me - "What about now?"

GF - "No."

Me - "God dammit, how can this thing be so damned hard to find?? How about now?"

GF - "That's it!"

Me - "Well finally!!"

GF - "That was it?"

Me - "Ummm, yeah? What?"

GF - "Never mind."

And THAT was my sex ed!
    ROFL! Ah, the benefit of waiting till I was older, at least the guy knew what he was doing and it lasted longer than 30 seconds!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was lucky. My nan (who I lived with) was very open and honest in regards to sex and periods etc. I asked and she answered. She had prepared me for my first period by explaining what to look for, why it happens and what to expect. So when the day came (I was 9), I had some slight spotting and asked her if "this was it". She started dancing around and making a huge fuss and even rang my mum to let her know lol. She showed me a drawer she had set up with pads and painkillers and stuff like that- my own special drawer. She helped me tell my teacher at school in case it happened there.

In regards to sex, again it was always a case of if I asked my questions were answered. school was informative too, especially once I reached high school. For catholic school, it was pretty in depth!! We watched docos on the human body, what happens when men get erections, and followed the process of pregnancy and birth starting from conception. We even watched a real life birth video (and saw EVERYHING). Our teachers were always happy to answer questions.

When lost my virginity at 13, my mum was the first person I told and she even bought me a pregnancy test. We had a open and honest relationship about sex and I always felt like I could talk to her about anything.

I hope to be the same with my daughters. DD1 already has an idea on what happens with child birth and pregnancy, as when i was pregnant with DD2 she asked lots of questions. I don't see why periods and sex need to be "taboo" subjects between parents and kids. And I personally know I would rather my kids come to me and ask questions and get CORRECT information then rely on school yard gossip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd grown up around farms so the s3xual act wasn't a surprise. We also had breeding dogs, so periods weren't a huge surprise either. That and being handed 'Where did I come from?' and 'What's happening to me' rounded out the nuts and bolts of information.

The real truths of s3x came form my first real boyfriend - I was 15 and he was 21 - and he explained everything - right down the the number of 'holes' to even that a vagina sort of looks like an inside out penis.

I am really annoyed that I never learnt about things like menstral cups and cloth pads etc though until I joined BH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As a young child, Mum bought me the book 'Where did I come from', so that is my earliest memory of sex education.

After that we had classes in the evening at Primary School called 'Sexual Development Program' which was just a huge giggle to us all, as it featured grainy, 70's films of women giving birth in all their 70's glory, long thick hair, everywhere! (even though it was the 80s).

At High School we had PDP which was 'Personal Development program' and again, a room full of teens and sex talk, another big . At the end of each session you were invited to post an anonymous question/s in a box and the lecturer would answer it. Some of the questions (as you can imagine) caused a lot of brow furrowing from the parents that were there and heaps of embarassed giggles from us students.

At home, I had my Mum sit me down at the dining table with a brown paper bag which she used to illustrate what and how periods were. Fortunately she was very open with sex education in that we could ask her anything and she would attempt to answer or discuss it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GluttonForPunishment View Post
    And THAT was my sex ed!
    But surely you knew something about erections before that - I had an excuse for not knowing 'cause I was a girl.