+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yep, a family earning the equivalent of my DP and I combined will be paying more tax with only one working But yes, we certainly have more expenses when it comes to child care but I don't mind, I consider myself very lucky.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Yep, a family earning the equivalent of my DP and I combined will be paying more tax with only one working But yes, we certainly have more expenses when it comes to child care but I don't mind, I consider myself very lucky.
    Yes, and you deserve everything. I'm understanding about the tax, but yeah 2 working parents have to pay childcare and run the extra vehicle and 1 working parent in a 2 parent family doesn't although they can choose to. That's why I think it should be raised, because I don't think those families break even with the extra costs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Actually, the secondary income earner can earn up to almost 25k before ftb b is completely cut off.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne.../ftb_b_iat.htm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Yes, and you deserve everything. I'm understanding about the tax, but yeah 2 working parents have to pay childcare and run the extra vehicle and 1 working parent in a 2 parent family doesn't although they can choose to. That's why I think it should be raised, because I don't think those families break even with the extra costs.
    The childcare does make it imbalanced, but I wonder if the policy reason behind it originally was to discourage the use of early childcare. Although the government now probably wants more women in the workforce, so maybe they need to review it.

I think the vehicle needs vary. Both of us have always worked, but we've always shared a car, and used public transport. To some extent we selected a residence and jobs that allowed this. But that is not as easy in rural and regional areas like it is in the city. And there are certain jobs where both parents would need cars.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think I'll get any this year prob have a bill with Centrelink. Might be surprised will just have to wait and see.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    This confuses me. A 2 parent family where one is on $148k (think that's it for 1 child) can receive FTB and the supplements, but a 2 parent family where both earn the same amount equalling $148k get nothing, yet with both working they have to pay childcare whereas with 1 working they save on childcare. I've never understood that. Also most need a second car if both are working.
    And as a single parent with one child if I earn over $48K I loose pretty much everything :S

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

Seacretsquirrel  (16-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Izy View Post
    And as a single parent with one child if I earn over $48K I loose pretty much everything :S
    Yep stupid really.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Seacretsquirrel  (16-06-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    I always thought that this was unfair (particularly as we both work so are ineligible for part b, despite not actually earning that much), however somebody explained that part b is to counter the fact that if both partners work, they both get the benefit of the tax free threshold and lower marginal rates, so part b is an equalisation measure for one income family versus two income families.
    Ah that's cool I just did a quick calculation and we pay 1/3 more in tax with hubby being the sole income earner than if we both worked and split his current wage between us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We get ours as a lump sum at tax time as DH is in the navy so his wage varies depending on whether he is at sea or not so it is easier to get it all at tax time rather than risk owing CL $$$$$ ESP as they seem to want it back at Christmas time.

This year it will be going towards fencing or driveways at our property!!! 👏

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So if you massively overestimate your income you don't get paid the difference? Last year I overestimated DHs income by 10k. We never know with weekend work and over time etc what he will earn so I estimate well over, anyway, this year will be the same.

Last year we got the $700 for ds and the $300 for the family thing but that was it. So, even if you overestimate in a big way you still only get the $700+$300?