+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think it matters if Indians are racist or not. It's wrong and we should hold our peers to a higher standard.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes racism can be stopped! Don't ever say it can't. Start in your home and make sure you don't pass on the traits of your parents. Let people know that you won't tolerate their intolerance in your house and especially in front of your children. Don't laugh at the racist jokes to be polite. Just say no... its not ok!

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have a racist free family. Growing up I had a Vietnamese and two African besties. My parents always taught me to treat everyone the same. I intend to continue this with my children. However there are those families that won't change no matter what, there are those who are extremely racist and they will continue to pass it down to their children. I honestly don't think they can change. As much as I would love for it to happen.
    I'll never understand why people are treated different because of what they look like. It's so strange. Anyone would think we were from different planets not on the same one.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I do believe It is racist if you cross the road when a group of *insert racial group* walks past you, regardless of if it is based on fear (and I understand that in terms of the analogy of the rape victim crossing the road), it is still putting your ideas about a race onto a person without knowing them. It's still passing judgment on the type of person they are based completely on their racial background. Which is racist.
    I think the important thing to consider here is that race would rarely be the only consideration. People would probably not cross the street if they saw an elderly woman walking alone during the middle of the day, regardless of her race. However take a large group of young drunk men at 3am and it would be a different matter. Therefore it's not race alone that determines these kinds of judgments, it's usually a combination of factors that makes people fearful.
    Last edited by lambjam; 21-06-2012 at 20:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Me&MrMagoo View Post
    I lived overseas for 8 years and most of the time told people I was kiwi out of embarrassment (I lived in one of Australia's 'playgrounds' at the time).

I married an Asian - wow, didn't I quickly discover how racist 90% of my friends and family were! Let alone joe blow down the street calling me a chink lover and telling my husband to go home ...

I live in a very affluent area of Sydney.
    Yeah, it was nice hearing my so white it's not bright family calling my daughter a gook. That was completely charming

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GluttonForPunishment View Post

Nowadays, if I see a group of aboriginals together, I'll avoid them.
    I was basing my thoughts on this particular quote which doesn't mention anything other than racial background.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I was basing my thoughts on this particular quote which doesn't mention anything other than racial background.
    To me this area is pretty grey...

Oxford defines a racist as "a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another".

If, in a certain area, a certain racial group was responsible for 99% of violent crime, to acknowledge this and respond appropriately wouldn't be implying that "a particular race is superior", merely that in this context "a particular race" was statistically likely to commit violent crime.

Even if you were to push the line that to base any judgment on race was by definition racist, I wonder if in some cases it's also beside the point. If being "racist" were to save your life, what then? At what point does a group become responsible for its own stereotyping?
    Last edited by lambjam; 21-06-2012 at 22:40.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    When I moved overseas the first time, something felt really, really odd. I couldn't put my finger on it though - but there was this nagging feeling. And after a few days I realised, that everyone was white. It was just the weirdest thing. I had never really just been surrounded by white people before.
    I had the opposite! I was the only whitey in 150km for 2 years, I even forgot that I was white, after spending so long with another race.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    To me this area is pretty grey...

Oxford defines a racist as "a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another".

If, in a certain area, a certain racial group was responsible for 99% of violent crime, to acknowledge this and respond appropriately wouldn't be implying that "a particular race is superior", merely that in this context "a particular race" was statistically likely to commit violent crime.

Even if you were to push the line that to base any judgment on race was by definition racist, I wonder if in some cases it's also beside the point. If being "racist" were to save your life, what then? At what point does a group become responsible for its own stereotyping?
    I agree, it is a very grey area.

I guess the thing is that if its your OWN race thats responsible for those crimes, you usually don't attribute that particular behaviour to racial background- you can recognise that its other factors. Its usually only when its an 'other' group that people see the race first.

As for when does a group become responsible for its own stereotyping, well, I guess I see everyone as individual within that race, so one Aboriginal person (for example) can't really be responsible at all for the actions of others that have led to negative stereotyping of their group by a completely seperate group of people. They simply do not have that much control over another's actions or racial stereotyping.

I just feel sad that all the lovely Aboriginal people I know have people avoid them on the street because of people's experience with other people who just happen to be of the same racial background.

Also, other definitions of racism do include attributing certain negative behaviours to certain races.

I do see how difficult this area is for people but I really think people need to try and see past race to the actual person and judge everyone equally. Its not fair to taint people with negativity based on a bad experience with other people of the same race, even if we can kind of sympathise with why they do.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Didge  (25-06-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (24-06-2012),Jakois  (24-06-2012),Starfish30  (24-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Annabella, everything you've said makes perfect sense