+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I've just started watching it and I find it so confronting to think people are genuinely fearful for friends and loved ones planning to go to Australia.
    Makes me think the racists got their way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I haven't watched it yet but probably will tonight on Iview. I live in an extrememly racist area it's awful how socially acceptable it is to be racist....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grew up in a very white part of Brisbane and always thought that racism was a non issue but I know know I just never heard it because there were no other races to be found. after moving to Sydney for a while I really noticed the fear and hatred our friends and family had towards non Anglo Australians. A friend who is a feminist, fighter for equality in every sense decided to use the Term "Leb's" . Parents referring to the neighbours as The Asians who may eat our rabbit ( even though they ran around their back yard helping us catch him). We moved back to QLD recently and have wound up in again an extremely white neighbourhood and when people ask us where we lived we no longer mention that it was between Parramatta and Castle hill because people say things like " bet your glad to be away from the Muslims and lebs" in my head I think gee its great to be around Rednecks. My parents refer to the new neighbours on their street as "The Indians" as if its scandalous. Why can't they be the young family across the road.

Also my father is only 3rd generation Australian... but he's white, so I guess its ok. My mother in law is an immigrant, but she was part of the white Australia migration ( she's British) so its ok.

My Husband and I will not tolerate it in our house, especially once our babies are born.

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have also lived in an aria where people are extremely racist and its normal there. Its not uncommon to see racist bumper stickers and t-shirts. I am so glad I no longer live there. Even the christians I knew who are supposed to 'love thy neighbour' would make aboriginal jokes and talk about shooting muslims. It is seriously scary many of them actually own guns too.

My father told me if I ever came home with a 'black or a chink' he would kill them

Its good to see not all of Australia is like this. It does make me embarrassed to be Australian sometimes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DH is half african american and ive seen and heard racism towards him

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

mummabec is offline I could hold you for a million years, to make you feel my love
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I work in a call centre too and I must say I am always taken aback by people openly telling me how pleased they are that I dont have an accent so am obviously in Australia. Funny thing is 2 of my closest work makes one is Zimbabwean and the other Sri Lankan both with fairly heavy accents. We do ALL get abused but I certainly hear racial slurs a lot!
    I didn't get to watch the show but will watch on iView in the next few days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DP wasn't born here (Yugoslavian) and he is SO racist towards Lebanese, Turkish etc. It drives me mental, I know that some European countries have always had grudges with each other but he generalises about them alot and it really bothers me.

My dad is a very stereotypical old man "racist". Uses terms such as zipper heads, gooks, coons, wogs etc. makes me sick.

You can imagine his joy that I am not with an Aussie born bloke :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't see the show but have often been confronted with how racist we are as a country when travelling. When I went to the Philippines when Pauline Handon was doing her thing, they'd all heard all about her, and we're shocked and scared. Again, they were appalled (and it seems everyone overseas is) with our treatment of Aboriginal people.

I do believe It is racist if you cross the road when a group of *insert racial group* walks past you, regardless of if it is based on fear (and I understand that in terms of the analogy of the rape victim crossing the road), it is still putting your ideas about a race onto a person without knowing them. It's still passing judgment on the type of person they are based completely on their racial background. Which is racist.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Didge  (21-06-2012),Starfish30  (24-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wonder whether the rest of the shows will take them to deliberately provocative areas as well? I mean I don't for a second deny Sergio was horribly racist (as was the guy arguing with him!) but they hardly stumbled upon him in the street.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I wonder whether the rest of the shows will take them to deliberately provocative areas as well? I mean I don't for a second deny Sergio was horribly racist (as was the guy arguing with him!) but they hardly stumbled upon him in the street.
    Exactly. This is the thing. They went looking for extreme racist spots.
    This happens in most countries though. Do australians get treated differently when they live there? Are they trying to say that all Indians are not racist?
    Don't get me wrong racism is a terrible thing but I don't think there is any way to stop it. And Australia isn't the only place it happens.
    I come from Italian heritage and take any 'wog' comments with a grain of salt. In saying that the comments I have copped in my past wouldn't be nearly as bad as the comments Muslims, indians or Asians cop, I've heard some incredibly nasty name calling and its not on. I don't get it. We are all human, we all end up in the same place so not sure why we all have to be so horrible to one another.