+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    Hmm, I don't really see it that way but ok to each their own. I think if you notice you have an ingrained level of racism, otherwise you would just see ppl.
    Oh totally, each to their own, it's just that by its very definition, racism is believing your race superior and others inferior, and treating people differently for it in a negative way. No one "just sees people". We see if they have olive skin or red hair or only one leg. I think you ask too much of yourself if you think you should be able to tune out racial appearance on this basis. There is nothing negative or superior or nasty in noticing someone has Asian features or black skin IMO. It's how they are. If we didn't notice how people look, the police would never catch criminals, for example.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Op, ill be watching if i can make it to 9:30.

GFP, I will be crossing the road also for exactly the same reasons you said - fear!

I am married to an 1/2 Asian man and when we go to Asian restaurants my SIL always asks for a knife and fork because she cant use chop sticks and they will always without question come and give them to me assuming the blonde girl can't use chop sticks.

Is that racist towards me?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtyban View Post
    Its interesting how different it is for everyone.
    My sister is black and the worst and biggest amount of racism, she encountered was in London.
    Actually, I can believe that of London. It may sound like an excuse, and it's not intended that way, but London is very very different to most of the UK. For starters, London is the one area of the UK that is massively multicultural, and there is a gentle joke in England that no English people live in London.

It's very common in England for people to say that they love visiting London but could never live there. Dirt, crime, and rudeness are usually the 3 things that put a lot of people off. (Although of course there are lots of great things about London too - it's just very different from most other places in England).

I wonder if overt racism is linked to high areas of multiculturalism. You'd almost think it should be the opposite, but in my experience (which, granted, is just that) areas that have higher density migrant populations often seem to experience higher degrees of racist behaviour. Just a thought anyway.

ETA - Just realised that was all a bit rambly. I just meant to say that London is notorious for a 'rude' culture within England itself, and also that it has a much higher proportion of migrant population than anywhere else in England. Don't think I'm being totally articulate! I wasn't trying to insinuate the racist behaviour CAME from that migrant population, but rather I had noticed (anecdotally) a link between racist behaviours when there are more people of migrant backgrounds in one place. I wonder if differences in perception toward a group rather than an individual come into play here.
    Last edited by Guest654; 20-06-2012 at 17:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Isn't not noticing race offensive to some people though. Like they have so much pride in thier culture and take the time to keep thier language alive while using english as well and then no one acknowledges that in the slightest because everyone is the same? IMO inclusion is not really about not noticing but that accepting that these differences are awesome and welcome and normal because every single person on earth is different. By making such an effort to not notice you are saying that there is something wrong with acknowledging thier differences and therefore implies a lack of acceptance. I would rather notice the differences and celebrate them rather than ignore them. That includes the various white people as well. In my 2 yr old class we had mainly white kids but within that white group we had polish, swedish, swiss, and german and we taught the kids about all those cultures and used many different languages in our songs. Difference should be celebrated.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (20-06-2012),Bubmum  (21-06-2012),Jensha  (20-06-2012),MissMuppet  (21-06-2012),Starfish30  (24-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post
    Isn't not noticing race offensive to some people though. Like they have so much pride in thier culture and take the time to keep thier language alive while using english as well and then no one acknowledges that in the slightest because everyone is the same? IMO inclusion is not really about not noticing but that accepting that these differences are awesome and welcome and normal because every single person on earth is different. By making such an effort to not notice you are saying that there is something wrong with acknowledging thier differences and therefore implies a lack of acceptance. I would rather notice the differences and celebrate them rather than ignore them. That includes the various white people as well. In my 2 yr old class we had mainly white kids but within that white group we had polish, swedish, swiss, and german and we taught the kids about all those cultures and used many different languages in our songs. Difference should be celebrated.
    I agree

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you would have to walk around with your eyes closed to NOT notice race (in some cases).

The definition of racism is (as copied and pasted from wiki dictionary):

:
    1. The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as...
    2. Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.

So I don't think noticing that someone comes from a different race counts as racism.

I'm a real people watcher, so I could probably tell you what jewellery someone was wearing and whether they had mascara on. Skin colour/ race would definitely be noticed!

And I probably scare people from some countries as, if they're speaking a language I recognise/ speak, then I sometimes slow down and eavesdrop a bit just to practise my listening skills and see how much I can make out!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (20-06-2012),lambjam  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone watching now?

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Just finished watching. Interesting, not quite sure how I feel about it just yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Sergio is an idiot. That's all!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

chickenfoot83  (20-06-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is anybody watching the Ross kemp show after this one

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast