+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I know quite a few racist individuals and have lost friendships over it. I cannot stand racism. I guess I'm racist-ist??
    Me too. Lost a friend who I found out is a Neo Nazi.

The old "you're intolerant of my racism" has been thrown around here, as if we should just accept it.

I don't see why I, with Jewish heritage among other social backgrounds which would have had me killed by Nazis, should have to be friends with people like this. Can't stand 'em.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (20-06-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Why does noticing race make you racist??? Wouldn't it only make you racist if you treated a person a certain way (negatively) because of their race which you had noticed? I don't think anyone can NOT notice race sometimes. We aren't all walking around with our eyes and ears closed.

Umm for me personally I think it does make me 'racist on some level'. I don't 'notice' white/anglo but I will notice Indians, Asians, Sudanese etc. I grew up in Northern and Western suburbs of Melbourne and I never noticed an Italian or Maltese - they were all just ppl IYKWIM. As society changed I notice Asians, now when I am there I don't notice the Asians so much as I notice the Sudanese.

I just think noticing them highlights that on some level I see them as 'different' to me - I don't see us all as HUMANS.

Not saying I would rude or judge them, but I suppose I would treat them differently in some way - perhaps in the shop if they are working I speak English more slowly on the presumption they may not be able to understand me?

Dont' you think that is racism on some level?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Me too. Lost a friend who I found out is a Neo Nazi.

The old "you're intolerant of my racism" has been thrown around here, as if we should just accept it.

I don't see why I, with Jewish heritage among other social backgrounds which would have had me killed by Nazis, should have to be friends with people like this. Can't stand 'em.
    I get sick of racist hate groups banging on about free speech etc too. It's not free speech if it vilifies someone else.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-06-2012)

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There's a great meme around.

"It don't matter to me if yer yellow, brown, black, orange or normal."

I think Australia is this kind of racist at times. We want to not be racist, we want to treat everyone the same, but lurking underneath is that "or normal" remark.

Which makes the meme both hilarious and sad at the same time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When I moved overseas the first time, something felt really, really odd. I couldn't put my finger on it though - but there was this nagging feeling. And after a few days I realised, that everyone was white. It was just the weirdest thing. I had never really just been surrounded by white people before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    Umm for me personally I think it does make me 'racist on some level'. I don't 'notice' white/anglo but I will notice Indians, Asians, Sudanese etc. I grew up in Northern and Western suburbs of Melbourne and I never noticed an Italian or Maltese - they were all just ppl IYKWIM. As society changed I notice Asians, now when I am there I don't notice the Asians so much as I notice the Sudanese.

I just think noticing them highlights that on some level I see them as 'different' to me - I don't see us all as HUMANS.

Not saying I would rude or judge them, but I suppose I would treat them differently in some way - perhaps in the shop if they are working I speak English more slowly on the presumption they may not be able to understand me?

Dont' you think that is racism on some level?
    I think maybe you'd be guilty of generalizing or rudeness if you assumed someone couldn't speak English based on their racial appearance, but racism is generally a belief that your race is better than another, and treating other races accordingly. I don't think that's what you've described. If you said you go out of your way to be nasty to people of Sudanese appearance, that would be racism, yes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (20-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I get sick of racist hate groups banging on about free speech etc too. It's not free speech if it vilifies someone else.
    You're right. It's hate speech.

I copped it for deleting this person from my life. Like I'm SO intolerant of his views.

Why the heck should I be friends with somebody who is involved in a group that celebrates the fact that people like me were murdered and would probably like to see me dead?

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think maybe you'd be guilty of generalizing or rudeness if you assumed someone couldn't speak English based on their racial appearance, but racism is generally a belief that your race is better than another, and treating other races accordingly. I don't think that's what you've described. If you said you go out of your way to be nasty to people of Sudanese appearance, that would be racism, yes.
    Hmm, I don't really see it that way but ok to each their own. I think if you notice you have an ingrained level of racism, otherwise you would just see ppl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm, I don't really see it that way but ok to each their own. I think if you notice you have an ingrained level of racism, otherwise you would just see ppl.
    I really don't agree with this Button, although you know I loves you.

I notice lots of things about people - what they're wearing, the colour of their hair, whether they have a disability, heck I'd sure as hell notice if they walked into a building nude! I don't think of them as being inferior or superior based on any of these things. I think racism is defined as the belief that a race is inferior to another.

So if you see a Sudanese person and you notice they are Sudanese and think nothing of it, IMO that's not racist. If you see a Sudanese person and think they are inferior for whatever reason - yes, racist.

You mentioned talking to them differently, well I talk to deaf people differently as well. If somebody can't understand me, for WHATEVER reason, of course I have to change my approach. This doesn't mean I think less of them.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (20-06-2012),MissMuppet  (21-06-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    But people look different. I notice different genders, hair colours, body sizes, clothing styles, skin colours. As long as none of these things is used as the basis for judgment, then there is nothing "ist" about it

I'm half Greek, so I'm hardly going to be racist towards Greeks. But I still notice when someone has a Greek appearance!
    Last edited by lambjam; 20-06-2012 at 13:09.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (20-06-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (21-06-2012),MissMuppet  (21-06-2012)