+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi defence family here to. I'm lucky this time around with our poting to brissie in a new estate but if we get sydney nxt I really hope we can get a decent area.

I t does suck with them away so mucha dn the way we get told that they are going to be away. Usually goes like this in our home

Hubby- So I'm going on such and such excercise next week oh and I'll be gone 3 weeks.

Me- Oh but such and such is on. I guess I'll cancel then

When they are away it is often with no phone contact or a snatch and grab phone call where they can talk for 20 seconds.

Somtimes being a defence family just sucks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fichicken For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I never try to whinge about dh being away. He is in the pilbarra (were bris) and does a 4:1 roster but its an oppirtunity hundreds of people would love to have and at least i know when hes coming home.

It would kill me having a defence partner

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PuppyGuts For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've given up trying to arrange my life around DHs work, I just arrange a babysitter if it's something really important. I got burnt too many times booking something only for him to say a day out, oh I'm duty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    If you look at the crime stats that would be out of Townsville. It's rife here. And it would have to be at own expense, something we just can't afford.
    And most bases (in Australia) are never situated in desirable areas anyway due to the space needed and also the nature of what happens on bases etc, so the surrounding suburbs aren't usually that great.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi my name is Amira and Im a defence force partner.

Hubby is in the RAAF one of my first experiences with DH going out in the field and not being able to contact him was giving birth to DD. He saw her for one day then was gone for the first six weeks of her life.

Im sure its something everyone has been told before but try looking at any services the defence force offer to help. But I completely agree about being stuck in an area and not being able to move. We've been in this house for 3 years now and I really really dont like it. Not only are we paying MORE rent for the same house (DH got promoted) but the house has so many maintenance issues.

My sister tells me that when she moves to her new house back on the coast that she'll "be just like me" She has no idea what its like to have no babysitters or family nearby.

I could go on for hours. But just remember you're not alone Elleandsam and other Defence Families.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Amira For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand how you feel, we are a defence family too and it is hard.
    I admit i do get a bit when people compare it to having a hubby who works long hours, i mean at least they come home at night (even if it is late) and most have weekends off. When i hear people upset about their partner being gone for a week i think 'a week? big deal - try doing for months with no contact, no help'.
    Then i take a breath and remind myself that we all have our struggles.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot of the services offered are run out of the base and with no license or car they're out of my reach.

The day to day stuff is fine, we get by. Things like online groceries and crèche at the gym help. The things I miss is the adult contact, someone to chat with after the kids go to bed. I know a lot of single mums who spend time with their parents/families on the weekends and we don't have that. It gets really monotonous, but like ground hog day really.

The stuff we need help with we get help with, like I pay someone to do the lawns, so any extra money gets eaten up.

I can handle the parenting on my own, I just get on with, but it's lonely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nat11 View Post
    Yep they're usually horrible. I was terrified every time DH left last posting. I even had someone try and kick my door in in the middle of the night for no reason while I was on my own and pregnant (Oakey). I called the police at least once per month. I don't know why they dump us in bad areas when they know we will be on our own so often! At least this posting I managed to avoid the Casula/Holsworthy area because I needed to be close to a level 3 hospital due to pregnancy complications when we moved. We ended up in the eastern suburbs on special consideration (in the Randwick base catchment). Apart from never seeing DH this is the best posting ever! I have a feeling that when this place comes up for dha lease renewal next year, I will be moved out there if the owner of this house doesn't sign up again. hopefully ill be pregnant again and can use the same excuse!
    We have attempted break ins about once a week. We've had both our cars stolen and our house burgled. This posting is the worst so far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot of the services offered are run out of the base and with no license or car they're out of my reach.

The day to day stuff is fine, we get by. Things like online groceries and crèche at the gym help. The things I miss is the adult contact, someone to chat with after the kids go to bed. I know a lot of single mums who spend time with their parents/families on the weekends and we don't have that. It gets really monotonous, but like ground hog day really.

The stuff we need help with we get help with, like I pay someone to do the lawns, so any extra money gets eaten up.

I can handle the parenting on my own, I just get on with, but it's lonely.
    The other issue where we live is that there isnt any other Defence Force families. Everyone else lives quite a while away. Back in Raymond Terrace (yes another special town) our neighbours were all Defence Force. They at least had some idea what we were going through.

And I definately agree about the posting worries. We're here for at least three more years. Which means the same ****ty house and suburb. But then again I really worry about being posted to QLD or NT that would be such a huge change for us. And even further to visit my family on the rare times I get to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have attempted break ins about once a week. We've had both our cars stolen and our house burgled. This posting is the worst so far.
    How much longer for a new posting? That is just disgusting!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast