+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default So sick and tired of hearing...

How much easier it is because I'm married.

To a soldier. In the lowest pay grade in the Army. Who does 8 months + away per year. With no contact.

September/October he will be in PNG, in the jungle, no contact.

Yeah, it's just like your husbands overnight business trip.

I get soooo much emotional support from my husband when he's away.

The financial benefits outstrip the negatives. Right. We have over $8,000 in bills because we were posted to a known high crime area and insurance only covers so much. It's more than 4 times his fortnightly wage in under 1 week!!! But we're so better off.

And you know what, I can handle it, it's not easy but I'm strong and confident as a parent. Until someone says oh so knowingly that I have no idea what it's like to parent alone.

I don't know what it's like to be single, but I sure as heck know what it's like to parent alone.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

Me&MrMagoo  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Btw this isn't just about the thread in the single parents section, most single mums get it and are very understanding. It's mostly either childless couples who try and compare their partners work away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh sweet... Hugs. Try not to let it get you down; no one has the right to judge you (for lack of a better term) until they've walked in your shoes for a day!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babylove81 For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (15-06-2012)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My XH was never home, emotional support was zero - I got more emotional support from my cat!!!

Parenting solo with an absent partner is hell. Pure hell.

And I used to say that I was practically a single parent due to XH always being away for weeks on end and when he WAS home he was out with his mates or otherwise 'unavailable' - a court registrar even told XH that I had 'practically been a single parent for longer' than we've been separated due to his absence.

I think everyone has different experiences. I take my hat off to you e&s and everyone else with absent partners. I've been there and it's tough.

I actually find it much easier now that I'm single.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That must be tough as not only are you on your own, you get to worry for your DH too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    It must be so hard.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It must be awfully tough.

I really feel for Defence Families. Having their husbands/wives away for such long periods of time with no contact would be very difficult.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (15-06-2012),Mod-Myztik  (14-06-2012),Mod-Uniquey  (14-06-2012),Squishy115  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel for mums in your position. My mum raised 2 kids largely alone in the early years as an army wife in isolated postings. I definitely know how lucky DH and I are to have each other most of the time.

Just a thought though, you're having a go at people complaining about their DP being away for short periods but you don't like single mums saying you've got it easy... I get where you're coming from but it's a bit contradictory IYKWIM.

Anyhoo, I do feel for you!!! It's tough with your partner away, missing them, worrying about them, knowing they're missing out on their kids early years - as well as going it alone! I don't know how I'd cope to be honest so well done for keeping your sanity!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (15-06-2012),elleandsam  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It must be extreamly hard. I have my partner but we moved interstate to a farm so no family and no friends and no real human contact for the last 3 years till my son started pre-school. It was extreamly lonely. I craved adult conversation. Hang in there and try to ignore those people that should keep their opinions to themselves. Some people just don't think of others and their feelings before opening their mouths.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to natct For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope that didn't sound harsh, I got up at 3:45am this morning for a day trip to brisbane fir meetings and I'm now stuck on the tarmac at the end of a delayed flight after my office stuffed my flights up! So my brain no work good.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Bluest Blue Box  (14-06-2012),elleandsam  (15-06-2012)