+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 1st dating scan, very small fetal pole...

Had my 1st dating scan today, according to my LMP I should be 9 weeks tomorrow. My uterus was quite large I had a yolk sac but a very small fetal pole. No heart beat was seen and sonographer didnt give me any measurements but he said Im at a fork in the road meaning its either not going to grow or its very slow to grow.

Trying to be optimistic
    Has anyone has the same experience? What was the outcome?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have never had this, but just wanted to drop by and give you a . Before you make yourself go nuts, take this advice: Do NOT google.
    I have had several frights throughout the first trimester and the more I googled, the more upset and stressed I got. Not good when you're pregnant

Did he tell you to come back next week for another scan or to get a bloodtest to check your HCG levels?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope he told me to talk to my Dr. He was pretty vague...not sure what to think. Will try and ring the Dr tomorrow to see what he has to say. Trying to stay positive though

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry you are going through this. I hope yours is just growing slowly.

I was at 6-7 weeks and was not seen. At 8-9 weeks I was dated at 6 weeks and a fetal pole but miscarried a week later and started bleeding a week after that when my levels lowered. I'm sorry to not bear good news. I really hope you are growing slowly but if not please see your doctor and ask what will happen as it can be a little scary. Hoping for the best for you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to natct For This Useful Post:

hansmum  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you seen your doctor yet?

I didn't know my dates as DS wasn't planned. However, when I went in for my first scan, there was a sack but no pole. They estimated I was 4 weeks.
    A week later there were 2 sacks and 1 pole. I was told I was having an ectopic pregnancy. EEEEEKKKK!!! This means I would have to abort both bubs and loose a tube

A week later I had another scan and I was told there was a growth detected in my uterus and this was indicating molar pregnancy. I can't believe they told me this. They should have known it was the placenta growing there and not bloody cysts!!!!

Anyway, I kept googling all these terms and it had me in tears for weeks. Then at 8 weeks I was told I was having a normal twin pregnancy. Unfortunately due to certain circumstances I lost a twin a few days later.
    Moral of this story: Do NOT Google!

My duedates went from 6 January (at the first scan at 4 weeks)upto 21st of January. (At the 4th scan at 8 weeks).
    However, DS was born via elective cesarian (due to health problems) at 35 weeks and weighed a whopping 3kg (6lb 11oz) and was 49cm tall. His apgar scored were 9 and 9.
    I remember the midwife telling me when she first saw him, that had I gone full term (another 4 weeks), he would have been 11 pound for sure.

All this info made me doubt my due dates. I think the first scan was spot on and DS was born at nearly 38 weeks and not 35.

Moral of THIS story is: Dating scans are NOT always accurate. You might not be as far along as you think you are or the scan could've been done incorrectly.
    Fingers crossed that bubs is indeed growing a bit slow right now or that the scan was done incorrectly

I hope you got more positive news from your doctor or that he/she at least got you to do a bloodtest or another scan next week

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

hansmum  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou everyone for your replies. Im not feeling as disheartened as I was yesterday. Im not sure what my doctor will say but I want another scan in 2 weeks, just to make sure noone made any mistakes (unless anything happens between now and then) Ive got everything crossed

Thanks
    Reviews
    had a call from my dr tonite, have to have bloods done tomorrow then again on tues to check my hcg levels....lets hope they are rising

Thanks
    Reviews
    Let us know how you go. Sending sticky vibes your way

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

hansmum  (16-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Had another blood test yesterday have to wait til tuesday for the next one.
    I have to say OMG how hard is it not to google.....It was impossible for me to resist. I have read so many stories good and bad. Last story I read says if you have a yolk sac and fetal pole its a very good sign.....I cant say I wont keep googling but the last thing I read has given me more hope. I wish it was next Thursday already so I could get some results the waiting sucks big time

Thanks
    Reviews
    2nd blood test down, have to wait 2 days now til drs appointment....all my symptoms have just about gone...no more neausea, boobs only a tiny bit sore not extremely like they were, no more stretching pains....had some more spotting last night.....who knows....