+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    Can I turn this back on you as an experiment? As you say, not belittling your feelings, just pointing out another point of view:

For those who do not understand wanting a vaginal birth: "do you not want to know what your body performing its ultimate function feels like? Do you not want to experience giving life to your child without the aid of surgeons and drugs? Do you really welcome what is potentially totally unnecessary major abdominal surgery, with chances down the track for adhesions/bowel obstructions/wound infections? Did you really look forward to the difficulty mobilising those first few magical hours with your child? Didn't you wish you could pee on your own immediately after delivery? You're okay with the risk of a scalpel wound on your child's face to scar them forever? Do you not wonder what it would have been like to deliver your child onto your chest, rather than have them held above a curtain with a stranger's gloved hands their first touch?"

I mean, really. I'm amazed anyone can be so blindingly one-sided as to present such an "point of view".
    I know that your question was not directed at me but I thought I would answer as someone who enjoyed their c-section and who never really thought much about methods of birth before joining BH.

I have never seen pregnancy as my body performing its ultimate function so for me it was just a matter of biology, I am female and females get pregnant and give birth. I honestly never thought any deeper than this. I was concerned about possible complications from surgery but I researched my OB, asked about his surgery experience and I knew that he was one of the best in WA so I was confident that all would be okay.

Yes the OB held DS first but I did not give that a thought until I read your question. I held DS within 5 minutes of his birth and I did not let him go until I wanted to. There was no recovery room, we went straight back up to my room so the was no problem with the fact that I could not walk for a few hours. In fact loved that it meant that my DH had some hands on bonding moments which he may not have had if I was able to get out of bed, eg bubs first bath.

I really loved my c-section experience, my waters did break so I experienced that natural event so I know that my son was ready to come..but even if my waters had not broken early I would not have felt robbed or that I missed out on anything.

I understand women suffering birth trauma from physical events but I admit that I do not really understand why someone feels ripped off by having a c-section or by not having all the things they dreamed of leading up to the birth. I accept that some women feel this way and I definitely respect their feelings and would not want to insult anyone, but I still do not understand it (which I think is okay, I do not have to understand but I do have to respect their right to feel sad,angry etc)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I feel sad for those who didn't get the birth they wanted. I understand what that feels like and its not nice.

I don't particularly care if they cut me front to back, side to side...whatever, as long as bubby is alright then its fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoletta View Post
    ETA: I'm so sorry, I didn't check which section this was in before posting!
    You can post wherever you like I do haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    When people say they had no pain after a c/s and could walk fine, did you need any painkillers? Or you just got straight up and could do things with ease without any painkillers?
    With DS2 once the spinal wore off I had no painkillers. I actually got up and packed my bags about 12 hours after the birth and decided I was going home they were a tad mortified.

With DD I asked for every single drug they would give me haha.

sweetsugardumplin' is offline be the change you want to see in da world
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    I guess because I'd had previous abdominal surgery I felt more comfortable with that option.

In regards to my earlier comments about not understand people complaining about needing a c section: what do you think you missed out on most? The agony of labour? The tearing of your vag? Light blader leakage? Raising a child with special needs because the birth didn't go as planned?

I'm not trying to be a b1tch here. Many have said they didn't fight their ob enough when he said C Section. I know it's your body, I just don't think you know better than a trained medical professional.

For those who said they weren't mentally prepared for a CS, 30% of births in hospitals are CS, higher in private hospitals. Shouldn't that have been something considered in advance?

People kept asking me when I was pregnant what my birth plan was, and I would answer to get the baby out. I bonded with her just fine, and I certainly felt endorphins when I saw her for the first time. They've actually never stopped since I saw her.

I'm not belittling your feelings, as you feel them so they are very real to you. I'm just pointing out a different point of view.
    Your post is incredibly insensitive

You are not just pointing out a different point of view as you say......but I sense you feel somewhat superior and dare I say it, smug, because of your perception of vaginal birth.

I invite you to educate yourself about the high levels of intervention in private and public hospitals, and the reasons behind them.

And then I encourage you to read the stories of women who have experienced birth trauma at the hands of obstetricians.

Then you'll be able to understand another point of view

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sweetsugardumplin' For This Useful Post:

CharlieBug  (15-06-2012),delirium  (15-06-2012),emzluvbub  (15-06-2012),headoverfeet  (15-06-2012),Super Trooper  (15-06-2012),Theophania  (15-06-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If I had to choose between my 3 tear free straight forward perfectly amazing drug free vaginal births and major abdominal surgery I'd choose my vaginal births without a second thought no way in hell I would risk a c/s without a dam good reason.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (15-06-2012),Busy-Bee  (15-06-2012),elleandsam  (15-06-2012),Super Trooper  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can't say I have gone through the pushing part but I labored 17 hrs (with being induced and an epi that half worked) and got to 7cms only for me to have emergency CS. I don't necessarily feel robbed but I would have rather gone the natural route and do feel a bit jipped. I ended up having a CS in hitch my spinal block still was not working. I had a very traumatic experience and tbh very frightened to go through it again (ttc but took a long time to decide to again). And suffered PTSD and anxiety due to it all.
    My recovery was ok. The day after the CS was awful. I've never experienced do much pain in my life (drugs werent working) but I recovered very quickly as days passed.

I know women who have had rough natural births and a long recovery afterwards so I don't think it's a matter of what is easier or harder. All births and experiences are individual.

At the end of the day we really need to focus on the most important thing. Healthy baby and mum. As long as by the end of it we have our healthy alive baby in our arms that's what matters. So many people don't get that (stillborns, very prem babies etc) and could you imagine how they would feel if they read about is whining about our births? makes me sad.
    But very grateful I have my beautiful son x
    Last edited by MummaJez; 15-06-2012 at 11:14.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaJez For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by louellyn View Post
    I know that your question was not directed at me but I thought I would answer as someone who enjoyed their c-section and who never really thought much about methods of birth before joining BH.
    I'm very sorry - my questions were purely rhetorical/ironic and directed only at WiseEnough to hopefully illustrate how incredibly biased, insensitive and offensive her similar post (about vaginal births) was. I am ashamed to think anybody thinks I meant those questions seriously.

I'm really happy that you had a wonderful caesarean experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetsugardumplin' View Post

You are not just pointing out a different point of view as you say......but I sense you feel somewhat superior and dare I say it, smug, because of your perception of vaginal birth.
    Agree. This is what I was trying to get across.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

sweetsugardumplin'  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    I am ALL about choice. I think every woman has the RIGHT to decide how to birth her baby.

My choice was after 2 c-secs that I really wanted a natural birth... And I did and it was freakin' amazing!
    My recovery was SO much better. I had fairly straight forward recoveries from my c-secs but I was determined not to have another one.
    Unfortunatly not everyone has the pleasure of having the RIGHT to decide how to birth their baby......

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alimia For This Useful Post:

emzluvbub  (15-06-2012),Lemonhead  (15-06-2012),MissMuppet  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    Can I turn this back on you as an experiment? As you say, not belittling your feelings, just pointing out another point of view:

For those who do not understand wanting a vaginal birth: "do you not want to know what your body performing its ultimate function feels like? Do you not want to experience giving life to your child without the aid of surgeons and drugs? Do you really welcome what is potentially totally unnecessary major abdominal surgery, with chances down the track for adhesions/bowel obstructions/wound infections? Did you really look forward to the difficulty mobilising those first few magical hours with your child? Didn't you wish you could pee on your own immediately after delivery? You're okay with the risk of a scalpel wound on your child's face to scar them forever? Do you not wonder what it would have been like to deliver your child onto your chest, rather than have them held above a curtain with a stranger's gloved hands their first touch?"

I mean, really. I'm amazed anyone can be so blindingly one-sided as to present such an "point of view".
    I'll just answer the pee one for now. When i had a catheter in I remember thinking how awesome it was that I didn't have to pee.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It really is very individual isn't it, some people have great births - some don't, some people feel ripped off, and some don't, some people have birth trauma, and some don't. Regardless- I think it very wrong to minimise someone's feelings. You can't tell someone else what they should or shouldn't be feeling, or if their reasons are good enough to feel sad about their birth.

I have a friend who honestly had the most shocking birth experience I have ever heard in my life, she was injured severely and the baby was too - all down to medical negligence - and she has never even implied I should get over my experience, she feels bad that I went through what I went through with my births, even though they were not even close to as bad as hers. It isn't a competition.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (15-06-2012)