+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Having had both one c/sec and two vaginal births, I think it depends entirely on the births. Some people have quite traumatic vaginal births requiring surgery anyway or at least help down the track from repurcussions of said vaginal births, others have vaginal births with no complications. In that instance (vaginal-no complications) a c/sec is definitely harder in terms of recovery as you're coming home after major abdominal surgery and then have to tend to a newborn with all that entails. If you're breastfeeding, the best you can do is take Panadol for the pain and it's a hard slog.

For me, I hated every second of my 'textbook' elective c/sec for a breech baby. I definitely felt robbed, and I begrudge anyone who tells me I am wrong to have felt that way. Why wouldn't I, I ddin't get to experience labour, I didn't get to have those feel good endorphins that get released when you labour and have a baby exit through the birth canal, I was in pain, but moreso, I was mentally affected by it and didn't bond with my baby at all in the early days. It was my first baby and a harrowing time for me. So yes, my baby was very healthy, didn't need any neonatal care, had perfect apgars etc, but it still didn't take away my feelings of being 'robbed'. The c/s still has an impact, because my subsequent births have been vbacs and that too comes with it's own issues etc.

Anyway, I digress.

Even though I suffered a borderline 4th degree tear in one of my births and PPH in my last requiring surgery and blood transfusions, suffer prolapse which will need future surgery, I still think the C/s for me, was harder purely in terms mentally and ongoing. That said, I think c/s is far easier in a physical sense of course, in terms of the actual 'birth'.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (14-06-2012),share a book  (14-06-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had the worst of both worlds. Went through 24 hours labour, then ended up with an emergency c-section. The recovery from the c-section was fine, the labour was much harder. I guess a natural birth it could go either way for recovery, either much harder or much easier.

I'd like to try for a VBAC this time, but I'd be fine with another caesar.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Never had a cesarean but I recently had my appendix taken out and recovering was HELL!
    I can't imagine doing that AND looking after a house and a newborn

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SeymourTheBear For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know if you can really compare the two.

Also, what is the point of comparing them? Birth is hard. Fullstop.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (14-06-2012),missjess86  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I had the worst of both worlds. Went through 24 hours labour, then ended up with an emergency c-section. The recovery from the c-section was fine, the labour was much harder. I guess a natural birth it could go either way for recovery, either much harder or much easier.

I'd like to try for a VBAC this time, but I'd be fine with another caesar.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    For me it was the other way around. I had a great 11 hour drug free labour that ended in a c-section and I found the recovery difficult. I had a LOT of support after the birth in Holland with nursing care at home 8.30am-4.30pm for 5 days (it's what they do there) and had my DH AND my parents there. Yes I was thoroughly spoilt and don't expect the same next time so will be hoping for a VBAC. Of course that's not to say that I wouldn't have complications with a VB and hard recovery but I'm hoping

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bin13 For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I've only had a straightforward vaginal birth and recovered from that well, so I think a c-section is just as hard as a vaginal birth, if not harder. I definitely don't see a c-section as an easy choice, I've had minor abdominal surgery and I can't imagine recovering from major abdominal surgery and dealing with a new bub and everything else that comes from giving birth. You girls are amazing!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My vaginal birth was long, drawn out, traumatic with a 4 month recovery period and I have been left with permanent injuries from it.

Due to this my second birth was an elective c section. There were some hiccups with the spinal. I found the procedure and the following 18 hours extremely unpleasant. I had a bad reaction to the anesthetic and my core temp dropped below 34. However I would still rate my c section a hundred times easier and would choose another one in a heartbeat.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jess1889 For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess because I'd had previous abdominal surgery I felt more comfortable with that option.

In regards to my earlier comments about not understand people complaining about needing a c section: what do you think you missed out on most? The agony of labour? The tearing of your vag? Light blader leakage? Raising a child with special needs because the birth didn't go as planned?

I'm not trying to be a b1tch here. Many have said they didn't fight their ob enough when he said C Section. I know it's your body, I just don't think you know better than a trained medical professional.

For those who said they weren't mentally prepared for a CS, 30% of births in hospitals are CS, higher in private hospitals. Shouldn't that have been something considered in advance?

People kept asking me when I was pregnant what my birth plan was, and I would answer to get the baby out. I bonded with her just fine, and I certainly felt endorphins when I saw her for the first time. They've actually never stopped since I saw her.

I'm not belittling your feelings, as you feel them so they are very real to you. I'm just pointing out a different point of view.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (14-06-2012),Maybelline  (14-06-2012),VicPark  (14-06-2012)

Guest Guest
    I had an 18hr labour and emergency cs first time and 5 hr vb the 2nd time. My cs was much much harder. I found the pushing phase the easiest part out of both experiences.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've done both and all things considered (recovery etc) hands down the vbs were at least ten million times harder than the csect. seriously ten million lol.
    my csect had some complications but seriously it was easy as. i wouldn't even rate the after pain a 4 outta 10.
    Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    Last edited by grumpysmurf; 14-06-2012 at 19:09.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpysmurf For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (14-06-2012)