+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    It was emergency. I had an epi during labour, it took him 5 tries to get it in and over an hour and then it didn't work, so for the cs he gave me spinal and I guess he made sure it worked!!
    Then when I had an appointment before my vbac to discuss the complications I had (and for them to make a plan Incase of emergency and know what to give me) they said if I wanted an epi during labour it probably won't work again. I was prepped to go natural anyway but just the thought of another spinal or epi gave me the shivers. I could deal with an emergency again, but I couldn't elect it, I was just too scared and I wouldn't have shown up!
    I had two spinals with DS, the first lot wasn't strong enough, so they did another. I noticed it was much quicker for DDs to wear off, I could move my legs in recovery with DD, it took a few hours to get there with DS.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    In the end I realised it didn't matter how I got my baby and I still feel the same way. No one is going to make me feel guilty for having a CS.
    I really don't want to argue, but I just wanted to say that people took your post to mean that they should feel guilty for their feelings towards their births and what they felt they missed out on. You maybe didn't intend it to sound that way, but its how it came across. Anyway, there is no reason for you to feel guilty, you got to have a wonderful birthing experience and feel empowered by your choice. Embrace it, but just remember not all women got that and do feel sad about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post

Stop trying to make it 'ugly', mine was a truly beautiful experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    My first post wasn't meant to hijack the thread, and I actually do agree with unique(?) about her points. I find other posts attacking me and reading tone where there was none intended to be offensive.

I can say the sky is blue at the moment and someone will argue with me. So I'm not bothering with this thread anymore. I don't sneer at vaginal births. I debated for weeks, agonised over my choice and cried with stress. My family was ready to shoot me. In the end I realised it didn't matter how I got my baby and I still feel the same way. No one is going to make me feel guilty for having a CS.

I have better things to do than argue with smarmy people. I'm going to play with my baby.
    Wait. People have politely expressed why they took offence to your post. You have then reiterated what you said that we should just get over it bc you were happy with your c/s.

I have re read your posts and I still get the same message from them as I did the first time. Stop complaining, it's not a big thing, you had a healthy baby and it's your fault you weren't prepared. But how can someone prepare themselves to expect feeling the surgery?

Blissed - no one is making c/s ugly. My 2nd c/s despite not being what I wanted was reasonably pleasant. great staff, good healing no feeling it, retained membranes having external cotton stitches that were literally ripped out like my first. When I look back I see it as a pretty good birth.

But the fact my first was terrible doesn't mean I'm making c/s in general, ugly. THAT birth was ugly. c/s can and often are, a wonderful birth with no complications and a happy mum. I have zero issue with elective c/s. But that doesn't mean I can't say my first was hell...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

sweetsugardumplin'  (15-06-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    dont worry Del, i always get shut down when i try to talk about my birth trauma too.

p.s two c section births here, and 2 special needs children.
    Last edited by Zombie_eyes; 15-06-2012 at 16:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koberose View Post
    Yeah had a feeling they where pretty useless, my last appointment with the midwife I asked " so when I go into labour what do I do? Do I call first? Go to L&D? Go to emergency?" being my first I thought this was a standard question...
    I was told I can ask them questions at 36-37 weeks make an appointment for another 2 weeks and out the door I went...
    Soooo I'm guessing going into labour is a 36 week secret? So over them already its all been horrible
    I was told to just walk into the maternity ward when I went into labour. They have a camera at the main entrance, so if it is night time, they can see who is ringing the bell and let you in and send you to the birthing rooms.
    Elective c-sections are only if there is a potential risk to you and/or bubs with a vaginal birth.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'll just answer the pee one for now. When i had a catheter in I remember thinking how awesome it was that I didn't have to pee.
    Hahahaha ditto! Even when I had srugery a few months back, i found it fantastic not having to ring the nurse and wait for ages for her to turn upwhen Im bursting.

To be honest, I think the term "elective cesarean" is wrong. I believe every cesarean done for medical reasons is an "unexpected cesarean" rather than an "elective" one.
    This is what I tell people when they ask what kind of birth i had. I had an unexpected cesarean at 35 weeks, which is different from an emergency cesrean.
    I was keen to do a vaginal birth. Even though my pregnancy was full of hurdles and the OB kept pushing me for a cesarean, I kept insisting I wanted a vaginal birth.
    But then at 31 weeks something unexpected happened. I got a rare pregnancy related illness that put DS at a 75% still born risk.
    I was sent home, but my LFT's kept rising and I was admitted at 32 weeks.
    They did scans 3 times a day and all day and night i had to write down when DS was active and not. It was terrifying. I was too scared to fall asleep as I was worried that I would wake up and DS would have died while I was sleeping.
    They tried to get me to 37 weeks, but his movements began to slow down so they booked a cesarean at 35 +6. I had 2 days to prepare myself.
    The anesthetist came to my bed and I had a long talk with him about the different types of anesthetics available.
    The OB (who is the best one around and usually only works with private patients) dropped by to tell me I had changed doctors and I now was his patient and he spoke to me in details about what the cesarean risks are, what happens throughout the process, the recovery, etc.
    I was very happy with all the info I received and I felt more at ease with the cesrean. Yes I was still very very sad that I couldn't have the ultimate birth I was hoping for. I could've still asked to be induced, but I knew the risks and it would have been outright stupid and selfish to put DS at such a risk, just because I wanted to push my body to its ultimate performance.

So again, my cesarean wasn't elective. It wasn't really planned either. It was unexpected at the least.

I do feel like I have missed out, but on the other hand I don't think I could have had a more positive cesarean experience.
    So yeah, to each their own. I find attacking people on their birthing choice a bit senseless. Choices have been made based on medical conditions of bubs and mums at the time. Lots of mums are lucky to be young, fit and healthy and have natural births and some mums and/or bubs aren't that healthy and need an unexpected cesarean.
    The only thing I don't understand is why someone would have a cesarean when there is no health risk in any way. A lot of mums recover quickly and well after a cesarean, but not everyone is that lucky. When someone chooses a cesarean for no apparent reason other than "they just can", they need to realize that recovery isn't always swift and painless.

Also, for those who say it is major abdominal surgery, I find that a bit out there to be honest I had my appendix removed in February with keyhole surgery and recovery was much much slower than and the pain was much worse than after my cesarean

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

Koberose  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    To be honest, I think the term "elective cesarean" is wrong. I believe every cesarean done for medical reasons is an "unexpected cesarean" rather than an "elective" one.
    I had both mine for breeches so I say mine were medically necessary c/s (although I debate that, but that's another thread lol). I cringe calling mine elective bc elective means by choice. I had none so therefore it wasn't elective imo.

and this is not a shot at electives, just going to put that out there. Just that I don't consider mine one

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Blissed - no one is making csections ugly. But my csection was. It was my experience and I make no apologies for sharing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Stop trying to make it 'ugly', mine was a truly beautiful experience.
    BlissedOut you have misunderstood me and my sarcastic post. Please read all my posts carefully. That's the last thing I was meaning to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Mine was horrible too, why is that bad? To speak the truth. To be honest my VB was horrible too - all my births have been horrible. Why is that not allowed?? When I had my last baby - after complications started to present. One of the midwives said "beebs, some women are born to have lots and lots of babies, you clearly aren't one of them, I think you and your husband should talk about permanent contraception", I ****ed myself laughing. She was right though. Some people have great births -some don't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think a caesarean involves nil effort on the behalf of the mother so the actual baby-removal part is not anywhere near as difficult IMO.

That said, I do think pain post-op on a standard caesarean will be a bit worse than the pain of a standard vaginal birth. Obviously a physically traumatic vb will be different.

I have had a caesarean and have never experienced labour. It will not be something I will willingly have again.