+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tooth brushing tips

Does anyone have any tips for me on brushing ds teeth. It is
    a struggle every night....

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Give him your toothbrush to brush yours while you brush his :-D

Failing that, sit on him lol that's a joke btw.
    Last edited by HugsBunny; 14-06-2012 at 14:06.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

Alimia  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I give DS (2.5yo) and DD (1.5yo) there tooth brushes while they are having baths and get mine and sit by the bath brushing my teeth singing silly songs and they generally copy

Sent from my Racer using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    For a little while when we started out we just gave DD her toothbrush in the bath and DH took in his aswell he would pretend to brush his teeth and my DD would imitate him. As she became more comfy we put a tiny bit of paste on the brush.
    This was when she was 12 months old. How old is your son?
    I hope that helps you
    Good luck

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just give DD her tooth brush while she watches me brush mine. Sing a song & get her to copy.

Sometimes she does. Sometimes she let's me 'help' her. Mostly she just sucks the tooth paste off her brush.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Try singing, playing games, fun toothpaste and toothbrush, rewards if they are age appropriate.

But, in the end I just had to hold him down.

My mistake was I let him do it him do it himself during a very difficult phase of his behaviour as we were too tired to fight. At 3, he now has one filling and at least another small cavity. So now we are militant about brushing, and flossing his problem teeth (his front two catch food between them due to the awkward gap).

You can also buy a product from the dentist called tooth milk which sits on the teeth overnight and apparently helps reduce cavities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We also had a stage of having to hold dd down. She thought it was a game and just wanted to suck the toothpaste off.

Now at 2 years she is fine. Attempts to brush her teeth then lets me finish it off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I pretend to DD that I'm tickling her teeth with the toothbrush. It's something she started, as she was brushing her own teeth, and giggling saying that it tickled. So now when I take over (to do it properly) I always say "Does that tickle?" and she starts giggling, which makes it easier!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhugs View Post
    Failing that, sit on him lol that's a joke btw.
    That's not a joke in this house! Haha. My 2.5 year old gets sat on if he doesn't comply, that's usually about a third of the time. We do all the usual singing/taking turns with our teeth/brushing teddy's teeth etc but he still fights it and always has. I am REALLY anal about doing a proper job though - if I just let him faff about with the brush on his own I'm sure he wouldn't protest, but I think it's because I really get in there on all surfaces that he protests.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Heartmummy View Post
    For a little while when we started out we just gave DD her toothbrush in the bath and DH took in his aswell he would pretend to brush his teeth and my DD would imitate him. As she became more comfy we put a tiny bit of paste on the brush.
    This was when she was 12 months old. How old is your son?
    I hope that helps you
    Good luck
    He is 12month old. I sing to him when I brush his teeth but I might pretend to brush my teeth as well