+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Selling old baby things. Is this rude?

We have been selling a heap of DDs old things through Gumtree.
    It's been great. No problems.

The last item I had left was a Highchair.
    We paid $120 for it, it reclines, the hight adjusts, has wheels, removable tray and also converts to a chair when bub is bigger.
    We only used for or about 3 months so it's in excellent condition.
    It still has its box. We just want the thing GONE. Right now I'm willing to give it away!
    We had $40 on it.

On saturday One of my sisters friends said she wanted it but only for $20.
    My husband is sick of it taking up space and just told me to sell for the $20 so I agreed..
    This happened on Saturday.
    I get told after the agreed $20 this lady can't come and get it until Thursday (today) because she has to wait until pay day.

No problems, that's fine, I just asked that on Thursday she could be here at 9am because i had a few things planed.

Well it's now 1:00pm and she hasn't shown up, So she is 4 hours late.

I have tried calling my sister because this friend isn't answering her phone and my sister isn't answering hers(no surprise she never does)

At this point I'm pretty p!ssed off!
    I had a play date with some friends and their children this morning at 10:00am and had to cancel because I was waiting and giving this lady some extra time... I have plans to go out for lunch with my mum at 1:30, I also have plans to go to the Dr at 3:30.

I KNOW if I go out she will rock up and no one will be home.. And my sister will cause a fuss and this friend will get her knickers in a knot.. It's the kind of people they are.. But at the same time... WTF!
    I have things to do.. I agreed to sell the frikin Highchair to you for 1/2 the original price, agreed to hold it here and take it off Gumtree until today..
    you are either stuffing me around with my time or not coming.

Would it be rude for me to just go to lunch and if she rocks up well tough?
    I mean I did tell her 9am because I had things to do!
    when selling things should I just expect lateness?
    And if she doesn't come and get the high chair today would it be rude of me to sell it to someone else?

At what point can I say "Nope I have waited long enough, not waiting around any more someone else can have it?"

Is there an unspoken code that I'm not aware of when it comes to selling second hand things to family friends!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You specifically told her in advance that she needed to pick it up by 9am due to you having prior commitments. You have tried contacting her. No I don't think it's rude to leave and go to what you had arranged. You made yourself available, you made it known to her the reason she had to be there by a certain time.... You have done everything you possibly can to ensure she is able to pick it up but she hasn't shown. That's her bad luck. If you had of said "oh yeah come around whenever" and then not been home then yeah that would be rude.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are a lot more patient then me. I would of thought stuff her and still leave at 10. If she hadn't contacted me by tonight I would put it back up for sale.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mopoke For This Useful Post:

austmum  (14-06-2012),Californication  (14-06-2012),cluckcluck  (14-06-2012),HugsBunny  (14-06-2012),KillerHeels  (14-06-2012),Lincolns mummy  (14-06-2012),LoveHeart  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would just go out. You have waited for 4 hours.
    It's not right to make people wait that long and if there is a reason, she should have text/called and told you

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KnockKnockPenny For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopoke View Post
    You are a lot more patient then me. I would of thought stuff her and still leave at 10. If she hadn't contacted me by tonight I would put it back up for sale.
    This ^^^

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wouldn't have stayed home!! She wasn't there, too bad, her loss. You had plans. No way would I have cancelled them for $20!!

I'd just relist it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Californication  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Totally agree. Go to your lunch and have fun

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are much more patient than me I would have given her til 930 tops. I'd realist it on gumtree too and if your sisters friend still wants it then it will be $40 firm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This

By the way, it's not rude unless you plan on ringing her in 6 months to get it back. A thread with baby things and is it rude in the title and that's the first thing that came to my mind. LOL

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dannielle For This Useful Post:

Squishy115  (14-06-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    i would have gone out at 10!
    i often sell stuff through fb pages, and if i 'know' the person will leave the item out and they leave the money. a stranger, no way!