+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I tend to use the term when people reside together. But there is no art to the term boyfriend or partner, so it could really mean anything. When my partner and I moved in together, we probably moved to that term, even though our didn't share money as such (bought a house, but paid 50/50 and kept separate accounts) or have children.

As opposed to de facto which is defined.

I quite like the term partner. It doesn't come with the cultural baggage of husband. I cringe when people refer to my partner has my husband, which is often assumed now that we have a child.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    nah I personally hate that word. He was my boyfriend until he was my fiance. Now he is my husband.

We were living together and sharing finances after 3mths and got engaged aftr 6yrs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For me the term partner comes into play when people live together or on the rare occassion when they live apart but have significant financial ties eg may have purchased an investment property together or one may rely on the other for some other financial reason.

I

Thanks
    Reviews
    Living together, sharing finances, etc etc. I would even be so bold as to say 12 months minimum. Its actually a pet hate of mine people saying 'my partner' and theyve been together like 6 weeks. No he/she is your boyfriend/girlfriend or someone you're dating after 6 weeks not your partner

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DP and I use partner because to say girlfriend sounds like I'm a 12 year old school girl

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KnockKnockPenny For This Useful Post:

AndrewTheEmu  (14-06-2012),saxonrose  (14-06-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I don't like the term "partner" but I use it. We've been engaged for over 6 years, we will get married one day if for no other reason so that I can stop saying "partner". I don't like saying "fiance" for some reason either. I didn't start calling DF my partner until we were well and truly moved in together. He was keener than I and started using it only a few weeks/months into the relationship. I liked the novelty of having a "boyfriend" as I was separated from a very unhappy marriage and it felt so fresh and new. (Yes I had a husband and a boyfriend for a while!! )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/f...oag-fatehr.jpg

From the first date right?

I agree with PPs. Once you're living together and sharing finances etc...
    Here I thought it was when our eyes met... :P

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I say it, or girlfriend, depending on the context.

When talking to the real estate agent about signing the lease? It was partner.

When introducing M to an old friend of mine? Girlfriend. When being introduced to her boss? I'm her partner.

I don't like girlfriend though. It seems too school girl. I agree a partnership is forged through financial commitments together and sharing life goals and plans. M became my partner in conversation after we first made our TTC plans and starting saving our money together. We've since bought a car, signed a lease and opened a savings account for our baby plans together.

ETA: if we were allowed to marry, I think we'd be engaged by now.
    Last edited by rainbow road; 14-06-2012 at 12:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    IMO "partner" is one step above girlfriend/boyfriend and a step below fiancee.

I started calling DH my partner when we were living together and planning a life together. Before that he was just my shag haha.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

Bennos Mummy  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think if you are always at each others places (or living together) and see each other most days, you are partners.

If you only see someone once or twice a week, then it's boy/girl friend.

I agree with LH. Partner is in-between BF and Fiancée/DH. A partner isn't someone you've only been seeing for 5 minutes.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (14-06-2012),insanity  (14-06-2012)