+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default For those with a travel system pram and a newborn

First time mum to be here (currently 34 weeks pregnant), I am looking for advice on HOW to effectively use a travel system with a newborn. EG I am looking at the Strider plus 4 and buying the car seat attachment, however my question is do I NEED the bassinet? Can you settle a newborn with the car seat attachment while walking with the pram?

What are the pro's to using the bassinet?

I just dont want some sales person to talk me in to buying something I dont need or wont use. Any other pram travel system advice would be welcome too!

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought the entire system including the bassinet. DS is now 3 weeks old and the bassinet is sitting on the nursery floor holding clean clothes!

He settles much better in his maxi cosi capsule rather than the bassinet and it takes up so much room if you have both in the car. I took him for a walk in his bassinet last week just so I could say I'd used it and to be honest it freaked me out that he wasn't strapped into anything while we were walking, so we're back to the capsule on walks. He looks so much more secure.

I did buy it because i was told that by the shop assistant that bub shouldn't sleep for more than 2 hours in a car seat but not sure if that is really the case and I can't see us walking for more than 2 hours!

On the plus side it does make a good bed when we visit grandma, but that's about it's only utility (other than as a washing basket) at the moment!

Hope this helps. Apart from that, I LOVE my travel system. So much easier to get my older son to school/sport and move around sleeping bub and have him all harnessed up before we get into the car.

I'd save your money and not get the bassinet IMO.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Toomanyboys For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a ABC Designs Zoom (tandem) with the capsule adapters and bassinet, and a Bugaboo Cameleon with both the adapters and bassinet.

I use the Maxi-Cosi titan for quick (under an hour max) trips... But the bassinet if I'm going for meals etc... personal preference really...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used the Strider Plus travel system when DD was born (and still using now she's 2). Loved it.

I had the bassinet, but it was the bit I used least. The most useful thing about it was that I used it as a 'travel cot' for when she slept at grandparents' houses, or when she was asleep in the lounge. I never took her out in it.

If I went for walks she was in the car capsule part, and now I have the bigger seat for her. She settled fine in the capsule

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've got the strider plus 4 for my baby too, we passed on the bassinet, got the car seat thingy. I haven't used it yet lol but I thought the bassinet was going to be a waste.

We wouldn't keep him in the car seat for very long anyway, can't see my kids lasting two hours at a shop or something anyway.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubs'n'Roses For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got a cruiser set and I don't use the basinette at all. He loves the capsule .

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had the strider DLX travel system and used the bassinet a lot whilst out and about at the shops, they are meant to sleep on a flat surface when they are a NB so the spine develops correctly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OOoh I can plug the pram I was lucky enough to review from here!

The Bebe Care Rverse XLR has the bassinet integrated with the seat. So it starts as a bassinet and then a couple of clips and it becomes the actual pram seat meaning you don't have to purchase a separate bassinet. The bassinet is also longer than strider ones meaning that if your LO does like the bassinet, you can use it for longer.

The pram is extremely similar to the Striders but has a bigger shopping basket, and is slightly narrower. We have the strider capsule and brought the adaptors to use with the XLR. I only wish we had done it when DS was a newbie. I'll definitely be using it for the next one.

Lil M - as a baby wearer, I dispute that. It is more natural and less stressful on babies to be in the 'froggy' position than to be laid flat. http://www.thehealthybackblog.com/ch...l-development/ and http://www.bobafamily.com/research/s...infant-stress/
    Last edited by emzluvbub; 14-06-2012 at 12:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the bugaboo bee and the maxi cosi capsule travel system- no need to buy a bassinete as the pram lies pretty much flat anyway. Plus it's small and light, the strider is so wide and heavy in comparison, PITA at the shops!