+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by April78 View Post
    I'm no doctor and am only making a suggestion but no periods should be painful. It may not be the pill causing it but something else like endometriosis. It may be worth while get cheked out as the longer you leave these things the worse they get
    That's why she started taking the pill in the first place, to control painful periods. (Before starting on the pill, she relied on maximum doses of both paracetemol and ibuprofen each period.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've done it with miserable results, I did it recently due to a holiday and I spotted most of the time. This time I skipped as I was changing from Levlen to Loette (so stronger to week) and I've pretty much bleed for 3 weeks and due for my period at the end of the week so that's been a disaster!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I skip every now and then. But the pain is a bit more intense if I skip more than one period. I can only skip 2 periods, by the third time I will spot if I try skipping. I only really do it if DF is going to have a decent block of time at home while I'm supposed to have AF.

My dr suggested I skip as much as possible as its good for anemia, and my iron levels were low at that stage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    I'd be worried if my periods WEREN'T painful. I can't remember the last time I had a period and wasn't balled up in pain without painkillers, and afaik I don't have endo.
    Definitely a check up would be in order, but a painful period doesn't necessarily mean that something is wrong. You could just be like me. Really unlucky lol.
    Yeah I have really bad periods sometimes (usually when not on the pill or skipping multiple bleeds) but I don't have endo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by daysta112 View Post
    The idea of the blood sitting there grosses me out so no I wouldn't unless I needed to. I previously used depo because I didn't want a period
    This is incorrect. If you skip a period through using the pill uninterrupted, depot, Mirena, Nuvaring uninterrupted etc then the uterine lining simply stays intact, and doesn't shed. Nothing "builds up" inside you if you don't bleed, and no blood sits around anywhere.

Skipping periods is perfectly safe and is in fact the first line recommended treatment for heavy or painful periods (AND endometriosis). The main issue is that you can get "breakthrough" bleeding (i.e. spotting between periods) if you skip your periods, especially if you're on a low dose pill. (Think of it as your natural hormones breaking through the pill's hormones and trying to "force" a period).

It's also incorrect that a PP said periods should never be painful. Most women have some form of discomfort, this is usually due to low level smooth muscle contractions in the wall of the uterus to help shed the lining. A lucky few don't feel anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And on a personal level I skipped my periods ALL the time when I was on the pill. It was so convenient and wonderful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a skipper. I hate periods and they are painful, skipping them has been wonderful. Only pain once every three months or so. Because I have a history of antibiotics use I began testing just after I'm due to make sure I didn't wind up 3 months utd unknowingly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do when I can. when I'm not slipping mine is lighter than when off the pill and last half the time so works well for me- also not as painful! maybe it depends on which pill your on as to if its painful, spotting etc...