+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Spin off-child welfare

At what point does it become child abuse or neglect?

Just to get the ball rolling let's consider a few scenarios
    Scenario 1
    A child whose hair gets really tangled and looks really unkept even although she was bathed yesterday and had their hair washed with shampoo and then conditioner used. They then go out with messy hair because the child screams "blue murder" if you try to go near them with a brush?

scenario 2

The parent who smokes while holding their toddler

Scenario 3

The mum who sits on the sofa all day, and leaves the tv on to entertain the child(the child is "supervised" and toys are available)

I could think of many more but am sure this is enough to get the ball rolling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Scenario 1 is my child, so she has a short style cut and I wash it in the morning rather than at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Scenario 1: maybe they have sensory issues like my dd, who also hates hairbrushing and has very thick curly hair, often looking unkempt.

Scenario 2: revolting and disgusting but not child abuse.

Scenario 3. lazy and careless, but could be having a bad day, sick, depressed.

I don't think any of them by themselves constitutes child abuse.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    As a mother of a child who has messy hair AFTER it has been brushed, I find the first one ridiculous.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (14-06-2012),ShanandBoc  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    As a mother of a child who has messy hair AFTER it has been brushed, I find the first one ridiculous.
    I'm lucky dd's hair is tamer when short lol, not the case if she doesn't get her hair cut often.

The second one should be made illegal, I feel very sad for the babes when I see it.

The 3rd one is very sad if it's long-term and it can become neglect in some cases but not on its own and not if it's short-lived or only happens sometimes.

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh bugger, better dob me in! I've been guilty of all three offences!
    1. My child just has wild hair
    2. I was about to pass out and handed DS to my smoking sister to hold
    3. DS likes his play alone time, which often involves me watching Telly from the couch while he potters around the house discovering. I'm always there supervising, but I don't hover.

Lock me up...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swizzlestick For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (14-06-2012),Liddybugs  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Well scenario one is my DD. I brush her hair, 10 mins later it's messy again, she has my fine hair unfortunately.

Smoking while holding a toddler is probably the only thing that would come close to child abuse. As a smoker myself I don't allow my kids anywhere near me when I smoke and that's totally selfish imo.

scenario 3 I wouldn't say is child abuse either just maybe not a good parenting decision, there's a difference

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by scotmum2be View Post
    At what point does it become child abuse or neglect?

Just to get the ball rolling let's consider a few scenarios
    Scenario 1
    A child whose hair gets really tangled and looks really unkept even although she was bathed yesterday and had their hair washed with shampoo and then conditioner used. They then go out with messy hair because the child screams "blue murder" if you try to go near them with a brush?

scenario 2

The parent who smokes while holding their toddler

Scenario 3

The mum who sits on the sofa all day, and leaves the tv on to entertain the child(the child is "supervised" and toys are available)

I could think of many more but am sure this is enough to get the ball rolling.
    Messy hair is not abuse, it's part of childhood, so no one that one.

Smoking while holding a toddler is not illegal so can hardly be termed abuse but I guess could contribute to an overall picture of neglect.

Sitting on the sofa- I did this when DD was little if I was sick or too tired. It's not great parenting but it beats locking them in the cupboard! I know some women who do this because they truly have no idea what to do with kids. This is ignorance more than anything else. It's not great but it's not abuse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    1: no
    2: yes
    3: no

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by swizzlestick View Post
    Oh bugger, better dob me in! I've been guilty of all three offences!
    1. My child just has wild hair
    2. I was about to pass out and handed DS to my smoking sister to hold
    3. DS likes his play alone time, which often involves me watching Telly from the couch while he potters around the house discovering. I'm always there supervising, but I don't hover.

Lock me up...
    Did your sister put our her ciggie?