+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know how annoying it is, I know someone who does the same thing, it totally takes from the conversation its so irritating.

However after reading your other comments i would be more irritated by the culture in your office. Snickering behind her back? And the director rolling his eyes? That is *so* unprofessional and bishy, esp from someone supposedly in a position of authority.

Whatever you do, please don't join them...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes say something, she might be a little embarrassed but I think would appreciate it in the long run.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amesv For This Useful Post:

sweetsugardumplin'  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm really going to "out" myself here but here goes. I too used to get a bit confused with the brought/bought meanings. A work colleague pointed it out to me one day and said "she didnt want me to be put in a situation where i would be embarassed" Obviously at the time i WAS embarassed but i've never gotten them wrong since and i appreciated her telling me. i guess i missed the memo in school, any way maybe you can find a way to tell her that you would feel comfortable with too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bravies For This Useful Post:

sweetsugardumplin'  (14-06-2012)

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not really bad grammar but the other day my mum was over and I said something to her and she said "HUH?". My reflex was to say "PARDON" I forgot I was talking to my mum and not DS (who says it all the time). On topic I correct bad grammar all the time with my son and husband but wouldn't do it to anyone else though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't either... My boss always said mute instead of moot and it drove me nuts! Even if I wrote an email with the word moot in it, if she wrote back she would say mute. I'm almost certain she thinks it's me who was saying it wrong!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like the suggestion about going to lunch, and saying how the director is a stickler for grammar. That's a nice way of helping her out without making her feel bad. You could even use a (fake or real) example about how you said something (e.g., 'I brought it') and someone picked you up for it.

You could be very diplomatic about it, and mention how silly you thought it was, but how it was worth watching out if it might affect opportunities in the company.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yup “arcs” instead of “asks”..

I think I’m just going to leave it. I know how much she wants the permanent job but it’s not really my place, I couldn’t hurt her feelings. I’m well aware that i’m not perfect myself, I just didn’t want such a little thing (that’s very easy to change) to stand in her way. It is mean to roll your eyes or snicker, but I guess at the same time, the director only wants someone who is professional sounding representing his interests. It just really stands out. There is a “communicating effectively” course coming up, I’m going to suggest she go to that for learning and development.

It took me ages to get use to my DP, who is from QLD adding “azza”, “ski” to everything (usually names) but now it makes me laugh J

Thanks for all your opinions on my conundrum!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bought and brought are my little pet hate and I am not the best with grammar ect.
    I went through school with a girl who was in most of the top classes and she would say them wrong all the time, I ended up saying something but she still did it.
    I woundn't say something directly but maybe after she says "I brought it at the cafe". You could say "Oh ok you have already bought(wink) a sandwich at the cafe". Maybe she might get the point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think that suggesting the communicating effectively course is a good idea.

Other than that I wouldn't mention the grammar issue to her. I'd be inclined to instead mention to the others in the office (but perhaps not your boss...) something like 'hey guys, let it go, laughing at others like that is seriously not a good look". Or something like that. Her grammar may be imperfect, but their behaviour is also embarrassing, and all the worse for also being mean.