+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it's mean people have been snickering behind her back. How very high school.

Don't say anything - she is a grown woman in her 30's. I'd be hurt and embarrassed to find out people I worked with were laughing at me behind my back - I'd rather not know about something so petty!

I cringe a little when people use bad grammar, but it's not my place to try and educate an adult on their use of words.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't correct her, as I'm sure she'd be embarrassed and it would just make for awkwardness at work.

I do think it's strange that in general people find it so offensive to be corrected. If someone points out my mistake I'm momentarily embarrassed, but then I'm grateful that I won't make that mistake again.

That's me though, I guess some people would rather continue to make the mistake than suffer the embarrassment.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yup you guys are right, I'm not going to say anything. I just felt bad because the director came past our desks and said "have you seen Martin" and she said "yeah, I just seen him on level 2" then he rolled his eyes (she didn't see) and I cringed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's very sad that people are teasing and mocking her. How cruel

Thanks
    Reviews
    That was kind of my point, I felt bad for her. I don't really care about someone elses grammar, I'm far from perfect, just thought I could somehow mention it to her, but I really can't. The last thing I would want to do is hurt her feelings.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The core of good manners is making people feel comfortable. It's really only acceptable to correct people if they are very young or foreign. I have a good friend who is German and I asked her if she would like me to correct her English and she really wants people to, because she doesn't want to sound silly. I am happy for Australians to correct me as I sometimes use English words that have a different context. I was giving a lecture to about 200 18 year olds once and I was talking about society and recent trends towards being single for longer, and listed one of the problems of being single as feeling rootless. Oh how they laughed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm really torn on this one.

On one hand I wouldn't want to say anything, I wouldn't want to embarass her & I don't like confrontation is she got a bit shirty.
    On the other hand if people like the director are sniggering at her, I would feel bad for her.

Could you pretend you got a serial e-mail about grammar and forward it onto her?
    Sorry , don't think I'm much help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    this is a toughie- i always correct people at work LOL but we work in a close knit kind of team and that's just the way I am- not sure if I would correct someone new who I wasn't really "chummy" with, you know what I mean?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bestie says "aks/arcs" instead of "ask". I've corrected her many many times over the years and finally she yelled at me saying that she knows she says it wrong and she is sick of being corrected. Worst thing is she works in HR interviewing people on an almost daily basis and she says "now I'll just arcs you a few questions". It's embarrassing for her but I won't ever correct her again.

Could you take your colleague out for coffee and tell her something like "the boss is a stickler for correct grammar so make sure you get words like brought/bought and seen/saw right because if a full time job comes up, that's the sort of stuff he takes into account".

Or maybe just ignore it, that might be easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sakabla View Post
    Could you pretend you got a serial e-mail about grammar and forward it onto her?
    Perhaps you could forward something like this to everyone in the office...