+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Grammar - should you correct someone?

There is a new temp girl at my work and she says "brought" when it should be "bought". i.e. today she said "my boyfriend brought me some flowers on the weekend". Or if you ask if she wants something from downstairs she'll say "oh no thanks, i already brought a sandwich from the cafe". She also will say "i seen xxx on level 2" (instead of I saw).

I really, really don't want to be mean or anything and i'm not being high and mighty at all but I have heard people snickering a couple of times, and i wonder if i should say something to her. On the other hand i feel like i can't because she's in her early 30's so i assume she'd take offence. It makes her seem unprofessional, and i think it will let her down because she is quite bright.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope I would never say anything in a situation like that. It's such a petty thing and I'm sure there would be things I'd do/say that SHE thinks aren't perfect e.g. makeup, fashion sense, handwriting, joke-telling abilities, way I use cutlery etc etc. It's not a co-workers place to "correct" stuff like this. It would be ultra snotty and condescending IMO.

I would only mention something like that if it was CLOSE family, probably not even to close friends.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (14-06-2012),Liddybugs  (14-06-2012),MissMuppet  (14-06-2012),twotrunks  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do, but I'm a school teacher. Sometimes the kids say, "This isn't English, Miss!" (I teach maths) so I remind them than people judge them when they use bad grammar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Definitely do not say anything. I feel your pain, as I am a stickler with grammar, but I really don't think that one person mentioning it will change a life time of incorrect grammar usage. I don't really see what is to be gained by pointing it out, she'd probably just feel offended.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (14-06-2012),~Marigold~  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't say anything.. my ex sil says rather instead of either! Drives me mental, like she will say "I'll rather have the black one or the pink one" OMG it drives me nuts bit I would never say anything!

Sent from my Racer using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually I shouldn't have said correct, i probably meant hint at. I could never come straight out and say it. One of the people snickering was the director and i saw him roll his eyes when she said it. It is a very small thing, but it might stop her from getting the permanent job. I don't think i can say anything though.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 13-06-2012 at 22:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, you are all right. I can't say anything. I do cringe, but I think she's quite intelligent. It's just that it's the kind of work environment where everyone is quite astute and well spoken and It stands out. Not my place though. I just felt really bad today when a few people snickered behind her back and i knew why.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I always correct people, mostly teenagers! Grammar, the difference between knowing you're sh*t and knowing your sh*t
    I don't think I would correct her because she is your colleague and in her 30's but personally if I was the butt of people's jokes at work I would want someone to inform me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    lol. my mother in law always ''sangwich''.. instead of sandwich. it's irritating. i know i know, it's petty of me to say, but seriously, how hard is it?!

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would advise not saying anything. I feel your pain however as my DP is the same, except he knows what to say and how to say it properly. But lately he's been saying things like that and it makes my skin crawl but really I shouldn't complain... I'm not perfect.

I just wish he would stop it! Lol.