+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How did you introduce a sippy cup?

DD is 10mo and is now down to 3 bottles a day - she loves her real food these days!

But I'm concerned about the drop in her fluids intake, so I'm trying to get her to take water from a sippy cup. She'll chew the spout but won't drink from it most of the time (sometimes she'll do one or two sips). I've tried putting her formula in the cup so it's more familiar. No sale.

Any ideas?

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just keep persisting :-) or try a different cup.

Some kids don't like certain cups.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could try a normal plastic cup instead of one with a spout and just hold if for her.

We tried the heinz cup to start with, but DS hated it. He doesn't mind the nuby one, but I had to squirt the water from the spout into his mouth for him to get the idea of what it was for. As I drink out of a glass he usually wants that though, so we have started him on a normal plastic cup at home (but it's a bit messy for when we are out)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I've tried demonstrating for her and she's definitely more interested when she sees me doing it. We're trying a second type to see if that helps and I also took the valve out of the original one.

She's had some sips out of a normal cup a few times, again copying me, but she won't do it usually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found the Nuby ones with the soft spout to be great because when DD1 chewed on it the water trickled into her mouth and she soon go the hang of sucking on it. She was breast fed and had absolutely no idea what to do with it at the start cause she'd never really had a bottle.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlyWirly For This Useful Post:

Mummy2MJ  (13-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the one I bought the other day is a nuby one. They're offering it to her at day care so hopefully she'll see the other kids doing it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonster View Post
    DS has a cup with a built in straw that he uses as he didn't really take to a sippy cup until recently.

Does she like using things that she sees you use? If so maybe you could have a few drinks from it and see if she copies you.
    I had to throw this cup out the other day because I saw mould growing in the straw : ( How do you clean it?

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We tried several different types of cups and our DD was the same. So I bought some pretty plastic cups and now I just put some water in and hold the cup for her and she drinks it like we do. Only took a day or two practise and she was drinking fine. She just sips it. But its all that works for her. She is 9.5 months old.