+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Centrelink Payments.- SINGLE PARENTS SECTION

Hi everyone

A close friend of mine recently split up with her partner. She has gone into Centrelink to see what she can get. She did the phone interview with Family Assistance and went in for another interview with Centrelink in one of their offices. It's now been a week and nothing. She put me down as a reference to be contacted to verify that they had indeed split but Centrelink hash't contacted my yet either. I've never gone through this process and neither has she so we both don't know what is meant to be happening.

Can somebody shed some light on the situation? How long does it usually take to process the new claim application? Am I meant to get a phone call to verify her situation and if so whats the timeframe in which they are meant to do so? Any idea's on when she will be expecting a payment (she's currently with family and has no money or savings) any other information you can give will be greatly appreciated
    TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When i separated from DH I received an emergency payment immediately and then it was two weeks and I started receiving my single parenting payment. The day after we separated i went into the centrelink office and they got me in with a social worker. This was a couple of years ago now though. And from what I have heard centrelink have massive delays on processing a lot of things atm, maybe it's just that?
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 13-06-2012 at 11:19.

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    They did mine straight away when I split from DP. I went into the office the day after with my sister and the babies and told them my story and they did it then and their. I did have lawyers words and stuff as well tho.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine was really quick... they called my references the same day as the appointment. Has she called them to see what the hold up is?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The day after they broke up she went to the Centrelink office and spoke to someone there and they just told her to phone the 13**** number and so she did. She had an appointment the same day and have not heard anything. She did try to call them but the she said that the phone like is engaged? She also went into the office and they said they couldn't help her with her enquiry unless she had an appointment for that day with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They have a lot of problems with their phone systems, it's so annoying. As I said in my PP, they are apparently experiencing lengthy delays in processing things- I know people who have been waiting over 3 months for things to be processed while others have been immediately. If I was her, I would keep trying the number and go into th office, explain the situation and what's going on and go from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The process is quick...your friend needs to keep calling ( try about 8am so the phone won't be engaged). It shouldn't take this long.

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    if she cant get through on the phone just tell her to keep going in and get her to tell them that she needs to see someone and is willing to wait.

my local one does walk in app, you just may need to wait a little bit

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have recently gone through the same thing. My first Single Parenting Payment didn't come for up to 4 weeks after I had my appointment with Centrelink. They didn't contact my 2 references either. If the payment is delayed they will back pay you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She finally got through to them and will be paid soon.

I find it strange though that they never contacted me as a reference? Shouldn't they do a background check of some sort?