+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I was going through IVF I was diagnosed as having an underactive thyroid and reffered to an endocrinologist. She put me on thyroxine for a year. I was checked every 4 months or so. Then in April I was diagnosed as having a hyperactive thyroid. Turns out I have developed Graves disease, so I was put on another medication, one that is safe with pregnancy as I was pregnant by then.

I'm going in every few weeks as my doc says the disease will go into remission soon, as sycx has said. I will be taken off the medication but there is a good chance the disease will come back after the pregnancy. Then back on the meds!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you have an overactive thyroid then you have hyPERthyroidism. I was diagnosed with Graves disease my last two pregnancies. I first thought there was something wrong with my heart because I was constantly having palpitations / tachychardia. As soon as I was diagnosed (around 12 weeks), I started on PTU to stabilise my thyroid level. I have a slight swelling in my neck but it's hard to notice unless you know what it is. The PTU brought my levels to an acceptable level and I was tested monthly (it takes a month of medication to change your levels). PTU is deemed safe to take during pregnancy. I have continued the medication still - if I stop, I get hot, my heart palpitates, my hands sweat, everything in my body works so much harder and it makes you feel wasted. There is a radioactive treatment option but you can't have this done if you are pregnant. Apparently it kills the thyroid and then you have to take medication to replace the thyroid function (I think). But I haven't been down that road yet. As long as you are consulting an endocrinologist and everything is being managed, your baby should not have adverse effects from Graves. But it is a serious disease that shouldn't be shrugged off. Good luck with everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongley View Post
    I will be taken off the medication but there is a good chance the disease will come back after the pregnancy. Then back on the meds!
    I'm the same - I have to get tested about 2 months after bubs is born, as I've been told it could come back, potentially even stronger than before (I was down to a really low dose of meds just before I fell pregnant).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for this thread. I have been hypothyroid since my first daughter was born 7 years ago. No probs with pregnancy #2 and thought all going well this time too. Had my TSH test last week (at 8 weeks) and GP reported it as normal but it was 5.5. I think that's too high for the important first trimester so I've upped my thyroxine dose a bit. Does that sound logical to anyone with experience?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by oops View Post
    Thanks for this thread. I have been hypothyroid since my first daughter was born 7 years ago. No probs with pregnancy #2 and thought all going well this time too. Had my TSH test last week (at 8 weeks) and GP reported it as normal but it was 5.5. I think that's too high for the important first trimester so I've upped my thyroxine dose a bit. Does that sound logical to anyone with experience?
    I think that is reasonable, as long as you haven't made a drastic increase! Would have more bloods in about 3 weeks too. I was diagnosed with graves at 15 and had a total thyroidectomy 3 years ago and have been on thyroxine since then. Just had my first bub and my dr has always been happy for me to play with my dose depending on my levels. Also keep an eye on your T4 - apparently this is also important when preggers and even when my TSH was abnormal my T4 was good which was reassuring

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubintummy For This Useful Post:

oops  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am hypothyroid which caused issues with ttc. Once my levels were under control I fell pregnant, and now at 22 weeks they are the best they have been in a long time!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks BubInTummy! I checked on my T4 and it's normal - yippee. So I am feeling a bit more relaxed now (bloody google and all the horror stories of nasty things that can happen to babies)... I suspect that hypothyroidism is adding to the tiredness of pregnancy as I'm totally crashing by the end of the day. Or maybe I just have one extra excuse?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I can't be much help, but I have anti-thyroid antibodies with a fully functioning thyroid. Me and hubby have been trying to get pregnant for over 2 years and just had a failed IVF attempt. I'm fairly sure its these rotten antibodies. We go back to our FS on the 23rd of may. I have been researching and found a low dose Aspirin, Thyroxine and Prednisone is supposed to help the egg to attach?? I have been researching this topic and intend on looking into the options...even if I need to see an endocrinologist. I'm already seeing a Rheumatologist as I have RA as well just to top everything off...