+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hypo/Hyperthyroidism and Pregnancy/Graves' disease

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd ask if anyone out there in bubhub land has been or is pregnant with any of the above listed diseases?
    Technically my levels are normal but I have raised anti-body levels of 1600 which is REALLY high and have done some reading (so now am freaking out)

Anyone else in the same boat?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try not to worry, i know it is easier said than done but if you are put on the proper dose of medication there is nothing to say you won't have a normal healthy pregnancy. i see you are past 12 weeks so really the placenta and baby's thyroid have developed and taken over therefore the baby should develop as normal. Has your dr prescrides meds? You are safe to take these during pregnancy so that isn't a problem, do you know if you are hypo or hyper? I am hypo and although I have only been diagnosed in the last 12 weeks I have an amazing dr who has discussed everything at length. I will just add I am not pg but have been reassured by my doc that everything will be fine if my levels are well managed. You will have to have regular blood test to maintain your levels because they can fluctuate quite frequently during pregnancy. All the Best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LilMuffin View Post
    Try not to worry, i know it is easier said than done but if you are put on the proper dose of medication there is nothing to say you won't have a normal healthy pregnancy. i see you are past 12 weeks so really the placenta and baby's thyroid have developed and taken over therefore the baby should develop as normal. Has your dr prescrides meds? You are safe to take these during pregnancy so that isn't a problem, do you know if you are hypo or hyper? I am hypo and although I have only been diagnosed in the last 12 weeks I have an amazing dr who has discussed everything at length. I will just add I am not pg but have been reassured by my doc that everything will be fine if my levels are well managed. You will have to have regular blood test to maintain your levels because they can fluctuate quite frequently during pregnancy. All the Best.
    That's the only thing I'm worried about really is that I haven't been put on anything. She said we'd test the levels again in a couple of months? I guess that's because at the moment my levels are all normal so technically I'm not either hypo or hyper because my thyroid is coping but my antibody levels show that it is increasingly attacking my thyroid so it will ultimately most likely fail - there are many websites that say that dr's won't put you on anything until that point where it has failed but being pregnant just worried that it's a huge risk to take?
    Good to know though that your dr is so thorough!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have hypothyrodism, but my thyroid function was normal throught my pregnancy. It has since gone haywire, and am on thyroxine.

I am trying to convince Dh for another bub but my doctor has said to wait till my thyriod function is better. so this is really interesting for me too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am 35 weeks pregnant and have thyroiditis. I developed this 2 years ago after having baby #1.

Im not on any meds for it as like you my doc said I had to wait for my thyroid to stop working to be put on anything. At first I lost a lot of weight which was good because I put 30kg on with DS but then my thyroid levels went low and I ended up putting more weight on then I did while preg, I will be asking to be put straight on meds if my thyroid levels go to low again.
    My thyroid had been good while preg even thou the docs thought I may have some problems.
    My biggest thing is because my thyroid is so swollen it gets really sore and there's apparently nothing to fix that.

If you are worried maybe see a different doc to get a second opinion?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had Graves' disease - and was medicated on carbimazole for just over a year (since December 2010). I told my endocrinologist as soon as I wanted to start TTC and she reassured me that all my levels were within a normal range for this to be able to happen - sure enough I was pregnant within 2 months of trying. Since falling pregnant, I've come off my meds on the recommendation of my endocrinologist - apparently Graves' disease often goes into remission while you are pregnant. My thyroid and antibody levels have been monitored regularly - most recently, I had to get thyroid function tests done just before 20 weeks, as the baby's thyroid is developed at that point in pregnancy - but my levels were still fine (borderline), so no need to go on any medication. I'm just over 27 weeks now, and am about to go for another test, as my last set of results was borderline - I may need to go on low dose thyroxine, if the levels have kept creeping away in the last couple of months.

All in all, my obstetrician and endocrinologist have said it's a perfectly normal and healthy pregnancy. If you are concerned, get in touch with an endocrinologist - I knew nothing about thyroids before all of this happened - and I didn't even have any signs or symptoms of any thyroid abnormality before I was diagnosed. A routine blood test when I was quite ill with pneumonia was the only indication that anything was wrong - and it took a further 3 months of testing and re-testing for a diagnosis to be confirmed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like you have Hashimoto's the autoimmune thyroid disease. For me
    It took a few years from having elevated ant-bodies to develop hypothyroidism.
    Your GP will watch your TSH and free T3 and T4 and make a judgment call on when you need to commence medication.

My GP left me a but late so it was my Endocrinologist that picked it up
    I'd highly recommend seeing one. I'm currently 5-6 weeks pregnant and my hyoid is really stable. I will be monitored closely . TSH checks every trimester.

Goodluk

Thanks
    Reviews
    My GP picked up the I was heading towards hypothyroidism at a pre-conception check-up a few months ago. At the time, my TSH levels were at the high end of the "normal" range (which, it seems, may not be a very good reference range anyway). She told me that while some GPs may wait till my thyroid failed to start medicating me, she believed it was better to start now because:

1. it was inevitable that it was going to fail at some point
    2. it was safer to get my levels well under control and at a lower TSH before I got pregnant (to reduce the risk of miscarriage and foetal neurological defects)
    3. with a TSH at the higher end of the supposedly "normal" spectrum, there was a good chance I wasn't ovulating properly anyway
    4. it would make me feel better!

Bluelips - can I ask what TSH your endo is trying to keep you at? My GP said we're fine to start TTC now that my TSH is 3.0, but I've read that 1 - 2 is a better target. (My FT4 is at the higher end, and FT3 is in the middle of, the lab's reference ranges - not sure if that is more important than the actual TSH?)
    Last edited by Gentoo; 13-06-2012 at 12:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Optimul TSH is < 2. For TTC and pregnancy .

Mine is 0.5

Goodluck

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueLips For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (13-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gentoo I was given the all clear on my TSH which is currently at 2.4 for TTC. I asked both my GP and my naturopath who is a FS and they both said that there is no actual medical evidence to support the theroy that a TSH of 2 or less is needed for optimum conditions to TTC. I saw an endocronoligist late last year who also who said that my levels were fine for TTC and my TSH was at 3 at that time. Granted he was a dipsh!t, but hey, he's the endo!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (13-06-2012)